News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Mark Bourgeois

From NLE...to OAE: who and why in the USA?
« on: October 18, 2007, 11:40:29 AM »
OAE: "Once Again in Existence."

Binks Forest is reopening after a five-year "hiatus."

The arrow always seems to point in one direction -- death -- when a course closes due to economics.  It's surprising to find any examples where the arrow reverses. You'da thought this  course in SoFla (which wasn't a bad track) would have been "housed."

The Sagamore is the only non-wartime, non natural-disaster example in the U.S. I can recall offhand. (I think saplings were growing out of those greens by the time "restoration" efforts began.)

What are other courses that have pulled a Lazarus, outside of war and natural disaster, in the United States -- courses that just fell idle for a while?
What's the record for "economically-induced" hibernation?
What forces brought it out of hibernation?

Mark

Mike_Cirba

Re:From NLE...to OAE: who and why in the USA?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 11:42:56 AM »
I don't know much in the way of details, but I believe Samoset in Maine falls into this category.

It was originally built just after the turn of the last century, but the existing course resurrected around 1978.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 11:50:24 AM »
Mike,

According to their website the Samoset Resort shut down from 1969 to 1974. (That was a tough time for resorts, wasn't it?)

Couldn't find anything on the course, though. Did it lie fallow during those years then get mowed and mulched or was it a do-over?

Mark

Brad Tufts

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 12:15:48 PM »
Wasn't Bedford Springs almost one of these?
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Adam_Messix

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 12:16:15 PM »
Garrison's Lake just North of Dover, Delaware is soon to be on this small list.  From an architecture standpoint, it's insignificant, but it's a much needed public addition to the area.

PThomas

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 12:17:48 PM »
i think Forest Dunes in Michigan
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

John_Conley

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 03:26:59 PM »
There's been some stuff going on at Grenelefe.  It was all closed for a while, then I went down and played South about two years ago.  I don't know if West ever resurfaced.

mike_beene

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 04:11:07 PM »
How about the mountain course at the Broadmoor.I think rock slides and the economy caused this.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back