News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

John Chilver-Stainer

Re:Is this good for golf?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 02:44:47 PM »
Am I understanding this correctly? ???

“The inaugural event comprises two separate competitions over a two-day span. Day one is a three-team, three-man scramble over nine holes. Each player puts up $1 million of his own money per hole. Day two consists of nine two-man teams playing best ball. Each team puts up $250,000, with payouts to the top teams. The winner takes home a grand prize of over $1 million.”

Day 1
9 players x 9 Holes x $1 million = $81 million
Day 2
9 teams x $250’000 = $2’250’000

The prize of over $1 mio appears meagre!! :P

Ken Moum

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 03:05:03 PM »
Am I understanding this correctly? ???

“The inaugural event comprises two separate competitions over a two-day span. Day one is a three-team, three-man scramble over nine holes. Each player puts up $1 million of his own money per hole. Day two consists of nine two-man teams playing best ball. Each team puts up $250,000, with payouts to the top teams. The winner takes home a grand prize of over $1 million.”

Day 1
9 players x 9 Holes x $1 million = $81 million
Day 2
9 teams x $250’000 = $2’250’000

The prize of over $1 mio appears meagre!! :P

It's not the most clear writing I've ever seen, but I think they are talking about two separate events.

The scramble is a straight up million-a-hole for the nine players.

The fourball is a tournament, with 2.25 million in entry fees, and payouts to the top teams. First prize for that is $1 million.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

JESII

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 03:19:43 PM »
Mike Young...I'd drive around in a cart watching...

Not sure if that answers your question in the least...how would this be bad for golf?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 07:22:34 PM »
I'd spec there's a good chance a show like this could help revive play on the ccfad's, muni's and other daily fee courses. That will likely end-up in slowing play even further. So, for the bottomline it could be good, for the golfer who plays no matter what's on TV, bad.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 07:30:58 PM »
I have had professional poker players try to con me into golf games.  They can not be trusted and maybe this show will shine a light on that fact and save some rube his house payment.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 08:26:53 PM »
JES II,

I think it's bad for golf because the focus is deflected or diverted from the inherent values and lure of the game to a strictly monetary value scheme.

There are certain golfers that I'd rather beat with no money on the line, than other golfers that I could win considerable sums from.

Ran Morrissett immediately comes to mind.

Our competitions are ferocious, yet, we retain our close friendship and sense of humor.

Having said that, I can't believe his long birdie putt on # 17 at Sand Hills, which was motoring at about 30 MPH, hit that pebble and was deflected toward the hole, which it hit with such velocity that the cup was damaged, before falling into the hole for a 2, while my birdie putt for a half and to prolong the match, was just a hair too fast, just rimming out for one of the most bitter defeats of my golfing career.

When promoters transition "GOLF" from a wonderfully competitive game amongst gentleman to riduculous entertainment for absurd stakes, the game of golf suffers.

The "THRILL" of the game is transitioned from its inherent values and lure to nothing more than a monied extravaganza for the purpose of entertainment.

As Huey Lewis stated, will golfers need a new thrill, a new drug, one that's monetarilly driven in order to perpetuate the interest in the game ?

Playing for a LOT[/color] of money ruins friendships, creates cheats and undermines the inherent values of the game.

Mike_Young

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 09:06:20 PM »
PM,
Well said...

Anytime the game is used as a vehicle for gambling it loses its luster.  We have one very nice place in ATL that is known for the gambling not the golf....and the golf could be great on its own.....

IMHO if the winner was based on golf skills it would be different but guys that would be playing these "games" would be gamblers not golfers...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 12:42:13 AM »
Mike,

I think you are correct. The game itself is not really affected, but I can certainly see course (particuarly public courses) running events with similar formats, which causes big concerns regarding playing for prize money and amateur status issues. This is already a much bigger problem than we as golfers generally admit, and this type of activity exacerbates the problem.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back