News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Spaulding

Wampanoag CC (pics)
« on: October 08, 2007, 12:11:43 PM »
Had the chance to play here a few weeks ago while visiting family near Hartford. Brad Klein's book devotes a fair bit of attention to the course and the "story", so not much to add here from an editorial perspective.

The surprise of my trip....not from a "shock/discovery" standpoint, but from reinforcing the importance of seeing well-done courses that can fly under the radar of ratings or publicity. The routing was strong over undulating property; interesting greens, well conditioned.

#11 had one of the finer greens one will see on a short par 5. #16 was of interest as it appears to be Eden inspired albeit a bit weak on bunkering depth and in the rear. #18 is frightening when at the greensite.

Original routing on linen hanging in grill

Great painting of the "real" first US Am....in which CBM finished second ;)

#3 tee shot

Approach to #4

#4 green

#5 tee shot

#5 approach with fouled-up surrounds

#6 approach

#6 green

#6 looking back (with grounds crew in the rearview finally :))

#7 tee shot

#8 approach with mounding

#9 tee shot

#10 tee shot

#10 "ugh"

#10 approach

#11 tee shot

#11 approach

a portion of #11 green

#12 approach

#13 tee shot

#13 looking back

#14 tee shot

#14 botched boob job

#15 approach

#16 tee shot

#16 close-up

#17 tee shot

#17 approach

#18 tee shot

#18 approach

#18 from "not where you want to be"

Individual hole sketches in grill room

You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

BVince

Re:Wampanoag CC (pics)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 01:40:01 PM »
nice pics...thanks for sharing
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 01:42:33 PM »
In looking at the first picture of the actual golf course, the photo of the green with a maintenance mower, I notice the green has a "crown" appearance or that extra "hump" right in the back of the green.  Some time ago on here, I recall reading something (it may have been from Brad Klein or Michael Fay) about Walter Hatch, one of Ross' foremen who built greens with a "crown", as was his trademark.  Is this in fact what I'm looking at here?  
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 04:03:54 PM »
Thank you for the pictures.  I have not had the opportunity to play this course.  Question.  On 10 shouldn't the fairway be mowed up to the edge of the bunkers on the right?  It looks like the green was designed to be entered from the right side of the fairway and that appears to have been taken away.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Brad Klein

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 06:18:19 PM »
What a shame that they are ride-mowing those greens. There are many reasons I finally quit the club several years ago, but a lack of budget, poor leadership and an unwillingness by the management company, IGG, to address fundamental isssues of overall course operations, cart traffic and tree management were certainly among them. Superintendent Greg Stent has done an amazing job despite extremely limited budgets and planning by those above him who should be more responsible.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 09:55:33 PM by Brad Klein »

paul cowley

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »
Please remove the silly tree on the left side of fairway #17, and rebuild the bunkers that are grassed in front of it

I rarely take on restoration efforts based on pictures alone, but in this case please send me $650 American.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 08:26:39 PM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 09:28:51 PM »
PC; you'll get nothing and like it....the original sketches show little or nothing adorning the LH side of the fairway.

BK; they need you back out there! The time is right with the management contract expiring soon......

LS; on 10, there is a fair bit of room to approach with a run-in provided you get to the RH side of the fairway....but when I played approaches were not of the firm variety so good mowing would still not allow the opportunity. The hole plays fairly short so not overly important anyway.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back