News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re:What do you think of this par 3??
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2007, 06:28:04 PM »
I think Jack's overdoing it.  Whatever he learned from Doak, it sure wasn't minimalism.

What about that hole isn't minimalist?  ???  ???
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Foley

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2007, 06:31:54 PM »
Yup It's Nicklaus @ Cougar Canyon in Southern CO.

It would be great to know if that land form is natural, it's got to be doesn't it? It would appear to be built either in or on the edge of a wash or arroyo.

From 120-140 yards it wouldn't be, but from 160+ w/ some wind. It would be tough.

Integrity in the moment of choice

JMorgan

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2007, 06:35:23 PM »
Yup It's Nicklaus @ Cougar Canyon in Southern CO.

It would be great to know if that land form is natural, it's got to be doesn't it? It would appear to be built either in or on the edge of a wash or arroyo.

From 120-140 yards it wouldn't be, but from 160+ w/ some wind. It would be tough.

John, with the rock rip-rap, I'm assuming it's an island inside an arroyo.  

Doug Ralston

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2007, 06:45:34 PM »
Please look at the Nicklaus design website and their pix for this course. Enlarge the 1st one, and look at that green. I do not automatically think of Nicklaus when I think severe greens, but whoa!

Doug

Tim Leahy

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2007, 06:56:59 PM »
It looks like the same erosion that created it would destroy it. Wonder how it holds up to the rain/flash flood season.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

igrowgrass

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2007, 06:57:56 PM »
I would enjoy it as part of a golf vacation, but not if I was a member of this club.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2007, 06:58:26 PM »
Intersting we never heard of this course. Oh wait...That's the cousre Baxter Spann pulled out his routing iteration at Paa-ko-Ridge during the gca.com sanctioned Land of Enchanment event. As I recall, Ran was very keen on his plan to re-create some of the great concepts from historical GCA.

Alas, the world is blessed with another JN course.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Foley

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2007, 07:01:24 PM »
It does look natural, but I wonder if the backside was excavated or possibly semi-excavated to make it an island?
Integrity in the moment of choice

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2007, 12:07:36 AM »
Excellent; a desert version of #13 at Pawleys Plantation.

It seems to me that "2 or 20" holes are looked upon fondly here.  Why not this one?
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2007, 02:43:51 AM »
I would enjoy it as part of a golf vacation, but not if I was a member of this club.

Agreed Sean,   I don't like water but I'd still like one time at TPC 17th.

Doesn't make either of them great or quirky, just ...freeky.
Let's make GCA grate again!

David_Elvins

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2007, 03:55:41 AM »
Thanks for the photo, John.

I don't understand why the area at the base of the cliff can't be playable.  Removing most of the rocks and shrubs wouldn't be too hard, niether would moving the cart path further right, presumably.  The hole would still look and play intimidating and the recovery shots would be challenging and interesting as well.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back