News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Grant Saunders

Also another newbie
« on: August 24, 2007, 04:22:22 PM »
After reading another couple of posts from new members introducing themselves it seems the appropriate thing to do the same.

I have been involved with golf for over 20 years having started out walking around the courses with my father and grandfather. Been playing myself for around 15 years reaching a 1 handicap at my peak. Now have a real love hate relationship with the clubs as practice and I are no longer well aquainted.

I have spent the last 13 years working on golf courses serving much of that time as an assistant superintendent. I am currently learning the art of shaping/earthmoving on a project in Scotland.

My old boss introduced me to this site and I find it to be very refreshing reading the opinions of people who are so passionate about golf courses. As a New Zealander I mostly encounter people who are pretty much oblivious to the great courses the world over.

It is rather ironic that the more I am frustrated by my own game the more I appreciate the courses. These days I am much happier going for a walk and taking photos as opposed to playing a course.

Adam Clayman

Re:Also another newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 05:42:51 PM »
Welcome Grant.

Hopefully someday you'll be able to put aside your expectations and just have fun hitting the shot, or not.

Could you tell us of some of the course you've worked on in NZ? Have you played the old course in Dunedin?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Grant Saunders

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 03:56:07 AM »
Thanks Adam

No, I have not played any courses in the Dunedin area though I have heard very good reports from those that have.
Most of my golf is played in the upper North Island. I would probably pick Hamilton golf club as the one I enjoy the most.

Courses I have worked at include Kauri Cliffs, Formosa country club, Gulf Harbour country club and a couple of smaller country courses.

I have spent time in Australia also working at St Michaels in Sydney and Joondalup in Perth.

Grant Saunders

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 04:32:50 AM »
Thanks Sean, just have.

Still trying to figure out how this site works as a member.

ed_getka

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 02:13:19 AM »
Grant,
   Welcome to the site. I was just in NZ a few months ago and enjoyed seeing Paraparaumu, Cape Kidnappers, Titirangi, and Auckland GC.
   I was intrigued to go check out Kaitaia way up north, but just couldn't find a way to make it work with the limited time I had.
   Any thoughts on these courses and where they fit it the scheme of great courses you have seen in your travels?
    Good luck with the project in Scotland.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Grant Saunders

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 03:12:28 AM »
Thank you Ed

The top of the North Island has some very enjoyable courses.

Obviously there is Kauri Clifffs which is fantastic course coupled with a breathtaking location. The conditioning of the course is probably the highest standard of any in the country.

For me personaly I find Waitangi to be a real pleasure to play. A large portion sits atop the bluff overlooking the Bay of Islands. Kerikeri is also en excellent course to test the game on.

Kaitaia golf club (http://ahipara.co.nz/KGC/index.html) is built on some of the best natural golf terrain the country has to offer. Check out the photos on the website.

I have also played a course up that way called Whangaroa which I would love to go back and play again one day. It had some really fun holes set in nice native bush.

I would like to hear the thoughts of Ash Towe on the far north courses.

ed_getka

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 03:30:35 AM »
Grant,
   I had the great pleasure of golfing with Ash on my trip and look forward to golfing with him again next month when he comes up here to California. Ash has been hampered in preparing his golf game by incessant rains, but of course I will show no mercy in our matches. ;)
    I believe Waitangi was mentioned by Ash and one I was intrigued to see but unfortunately it was too far for this trip. Kauri Cliffs was certainly on the radar, but there aren't too many golfers who will get to KC and CK on the same trip unless they have some sort of trust fund they are living off. :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Ash Towe

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 04:09:02 PM »
Hi Grant, welcome to GCA.  In terms of playing the far north, I have not had that much experience.  I have played at Kauri Cliffs, Carrington Club (Before the redesign/work ), Waitangi and if you count these as far north Waipu (a personal favourite ) and Mangawai.
Grant, please stay in contact and perhaps we can have a game when you are next back home.  We need more Kiwis on this site.

Roger Tufts

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 05:09:34 PM »
Welcome to a newcomer from a fellow newcomer. Always wanted to get a trip going down there, ever since I saw the Shell's Wonderful World of Golf episode with the match between Freddy Couples and Michael Campbell at Kauri Cliffs.

Enjoy your discussions here :)
Cornell University '11 - Tedesco Country Club - Next Golf Vacation: Summer 2015 @ Nova Scotia & PEI (14 Rounds)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back