News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

I-81 GCA (looking for suggestions, not access)
« on: August 25, 2007, 11:20:21 PM »
Well this Wednesday, my parents and I will "light out for the country" of Appalachian Virginia and my future alma mater, Washington & Lee University.  We are going to take our time in getting there, since I can't move in until Saturday.  

Anyway, we're going to play at one of the courses in Lexington (either Lexington CC or Vista Links; hopefully the one on which I'll be trying to qualify for the team a week or so later) once we get there.  Therefore, I come to the Well Of Knowledge in search of a suggestion as to a public course of merit somewhere around or beyond Harrisburg, PA, on the way to 'Lex Vegas,' to play most likely on Wednesday afternoon.

Cheers.

--Tim Gavrich
Senior Writer, GolfPass

ed_getka

Re:I-81 GCA (looking for suggestions, not access)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 02:01:30 AM »
Tim,
   I don't know that area of the country well from a golf standpoint, however I wish you well in your efforts to make the golf team and begin your college education. Enjoy the experience.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 02:07:09 AM »
Tim,

I'm a fan of Bill Love's Dauphin Highlands near Harrisburg, although it's been at least 10 years since I played there so I can't vouch for conditioning.

I also used to love Hershey Parkview (aka Hershey South), but that's sadly closed about two years ago.

Wrendale by Hurdzan/Fry is an interesting "minimalist" effort by those two, who for a long time moved mucho dirt.

That's what comes to mind late at night.   Perhaps others suggestions will spur my tired brain.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 05:59:21 AM »
Tim,

I'll second Dauphin Highlands in Harrisburg, PA and that is probably your best bet. Of all the golf courses with views of Three Mile Island, that's one of them.

A decent bargain that is some true mountain golf is Mountain Valley in Mahanoy City, PA. I-81 is actually OB on a handful of the holes, and you'll see the golf course on the right hand side as you head north.

It's about an hour and a half north of Harrisburg, so it's not quite beyond Harrisburg for you. Use the Delano (PA Rt. 54) exit. It's a 27 hole facility with an additional 9 under construction that may well be nearing completion all done by the Ault/Clark firm.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 05:53:03 PM by Kyle Harris »

Cory Lewis

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 07:15:19 AM »
Penn National has two courses that are very nice, and they are only a few miles off 81 in Mont Alto, PA, about five miles from the Chambersburg exit.  I would play the Founders course if you had the choice between the two.  
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 09:08:35 AM »
I've always liked Wren Dale just north of Hershey, a stone's throw from I-81.

Country Club of Hershey is very good too.  But I think you may need to stay at the resort.

BCrosby

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 09:44:00 AM »
Tim -

I don't know much about golf courses around Lexington, but I do know a couple of the players on the W&L golf team. Two great kids from Atlanta. Both are really good players, btw. (They are high school buddies of my son.)

If you want, IM me and I'll get their contact info. And good luck at W&L. Don't miss the Palms in town. My favorite redneck beer joint.

Bob

Bill Gayne

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 10:04:22 AM »
Tim,

From Lexington, you're about an hour to either Hot Springs or Wintergreen. The Homestead is in Hot Springs and it's on the pricey side. Wintergreen is also a resort course but they routinely advertise specials in the local Charlottesville and Richmond Newspapers. My preference at Wintergreen is the Ellis Maples course.

Good luck in school.

Bill
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 10:15:15 AM by Bill Gayne »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back