News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bentham

Old Macdonald in flames!
« on: August 17, 2007, 03:27:02 AM »

Or should say was in flames.  Honestly can't say I know where this picture was taking from, though.  But a substantial portion of the meadow east of 14 and 15 @ Pac now looks like the 'wasteland' Trump was referring to.  A couple of official links  http://www.coosfpa.net/
http://www.theworldlink.com/articles/2007/08/14/public_records/police_reports/vitals01081407.txt
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 08:51:01 PM by Joe Bentham »

Craig Van Egmond

Re:Old Macdonald in flames!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 07:40:53 AM »

Maybe lightning does strike twice... the land for Pac Dunes had a  fire that cleared a lot of the gorse before construction started on it.

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 08:16:11 AM »
Unless I missed something there's nothing in the articles stating the fires were on Bandon's property.    

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 09:25:17 AM »
"The Whiskey Run fire burned nearly 110 acres of gorse, a highly flammable plant, and threatened about 50 homes near Brown Lane, Clifford Road, Uro Drive and Jackie Road before fire crews halted its progress at about 8 p.m. No homes were damaged nor were any evacuations required. Some of the fire was on Bandon Dunes Golf Resort property."

I thought they'd already started doing a lot of clearing on the project. It looks like it may have burned some of the ridge according to the description.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 09:34:12 AM by Jeff Doerr »
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

rjsimper

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 12:01:53 PM »
Now Tom...you got away with it once before...aren't we pushing our luck here?

;D

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 12:20:55 PM »
I knew when I heard about this someone would accuse me.  But, I've been in Traverse City all week.

Hopefully it is something of a good luck charm.  We had already cleared a lot of the property to the east of the large dune line; the fire has apparently burned the majority of the gorse to the west, the part visible from Pacific Dunes.

This time, I understand better that whatever we don't clear WILL grow back.

ChipRoyce

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 12:53:06 PM »
Of course this was an accidental fire, something that can happen all the time in the summer dryness of Oregon. ;)

With this being the case, whats the odds that some portion of the course will undergo some amount of damage due to these kinds of wildfires? How substantial will the eventual damage be?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 01:06:10 PM »
Yeah, but where was Beansy on the night in question...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 01:13:41 PM »
There are (hopefully, still) a couple of "snag" trees along the dune which I hope were not burned beyond repair, as they would help in visualizing a line of play for our "Sahara" 3rd hole up and over the dune.  (They're way less expensive than building a windmill.)

Otherwise, there were no particular pieces of vegetation that we were particularly interested in preserving, and it won't affect any of the contours or the soils, so the fire won't do any lasting damage.  But, it wasn't set deliberately.  They are very lucky they were able to contain it without it burning homes about a half mile to the east, or spreading to the south toward the resort.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 04:14:04 PM »
If you needed those snags rather than a windmill, and they burned down, have you considered:

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

George_Bahto

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 05:17:12 PM »
Daley - you're a nut!!
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

RJ_Daley

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 05:29:15 PM »
George, greetings.   ;D 8)

I'm just trying to stay with a regional theme.  The Hudson Bay Dutch had their windmills on L.I. and such.  Don't you have to give the nod to the native crowd there on the Pac Norwest shores and use one of their traditional tall structures.  

Was there any evidence that C.B. ever encountered a totem pole?  :o 8)  Don't you think he might like the native people substitute for a windmill?  ;D

RJ_Daley

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 05:32:36 PM »
I hear Tommy does a mean watercolor of a Totem, if you need one.  8)

Joe Hancock

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 07:48:53 PM »
Daley - you're a nut!!

RJ,

Graciously accept that very high compliment..... ;D

I've never been called anything like that, unfortunately.... :P

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Dan Kelly

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 07:51:42 PM »
I've never been called anything like that, unfortunately.... :P

Hancock, you're a fruit!

Close enough?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

George_Bahto

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 07:51:44 PM »
RJ: actually we had a discussion about a theme structure other than copying the NGLA windmill.

a totem pole hmmmmmmmmmmmm :-)  ....  there are plenty of logs laying around in the towns nearby
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 07:53:23 PM by George_Bahto »
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Dan Kelly

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 07:59:15 PM »
RJ: actually we had a discussion about a theme structure other than copying the NGLA windmill.

a totem pole hmmmmmmmmmmmm :-)  ....  there are plenty of logs laying around in the towns nearby

George -- How about a barn?

After all, Old Macdonald had a farm ...
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Joe Hancock

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 08:00:49 PM »

George -- How about a barn?

After all, Old Macdonald had a farm ...

I'm thinking "manure spreader"....
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Brad Klein

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 08:45:39 PM »
Tom, we had the yardages on those three nice aiming points for Sahara all worked out!

Joe Bentham

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2007, 08:50:06 PM »
crappy pics from my phone, click on them to see bigger images.  All three pics where taking from 14 tee at pac.  As for the trees for the Sahara hole, I don't know.  The ridge is burnt bad to about equal with 14 green

« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 08:54:50 PM by Joe Bentham »

Ron Farris

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2007, 06:29:46 PM »
Wow, I thought you "Burn in Hell" if you post pictures of a Doak course before it was being constructed ;D ;).

I friend of mine just returned from Bandon.  I found it interesting that he said the CC course Bandon Trails was pale in comparison - what a poor finish.  He also liked Bandon better than Pacific.  I look forward to another trip to the Pacific coast to pass judgement myself.  Word has it that Bandon has become a very expensive place to stay and play.
I save my pennies.

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2007, 09:24:36 PM »
Brad, Tom, George & all;

If the Sahara hole as envisioned is the third hole in your routing, the snags, and all the vegetation in that area, are untouched by the fire, which occurred on the opposite end of the routing.

Had some rain here this past weekend, and a south wind with cool temps for today's golf at the Trails course.

Regards,
Tom
the pres

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back