News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nick Church

Help: Wentworth By the Sea CC (New Hampshire)
« on: August 13, 2007, 06:52:31 PM »
I may have the opportunity to play a course in NH.

I thought maybe someone here knew a little history, or perhaps had an opinion from experience.

Wentworth By the Sea CC.  According to their site, first 9 holes were designed by George Wright.  Donald Ross "improved" that original nine.  Then, Geoffrey Cornish expanded the course to 18 holes.

Thanks one and all.

Cliff Hamm

Re:Help: Wentworth By the Sea CC (New Hampshire)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 06:56:29 PM »
Played Wentworth about 30 years ago when it was public.  Remember it being a fun, sporty course.  As I recall seemed more Cornish than anything.  Two most memorable holes were the 9th which doglegs along the water.  Kind of a poor man's PB 18th but going left to right instead of right to left.  Also, remember an excellent cape hole going across an inlet of water with a single tree in front of the left side of the green.  Otherwise not the most difficult course but very enjoyable.

rjsimper

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 07:27:42 PM »
I've played there - I have a few pics at home that I will post for you - I would not pass up an invite there, at the same time I likely wouldn't drive more than an hour or two to go play.  

I believe they've changed the numbering around a few times, as the "poor man's PB 18" hole was 16 when I played.  The cape hole was 4.  There are certainly some odd and claustrophobic holes out there, but it's a very pretty setting along the harbor.

Nick Church

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 08:11:58 PM »
Thanks fellas.

This is the man's home course, so the "effort" involved is minimal.  (Certainly not more than a few minutes drive).

Depending, I may try to beg him for a "bigger" round at "name" course, too.

Thanks, in advance, for the photos, Mr. Simper.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 08:12:08 PM by Nick Church »

rjsimper

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 02:35:57 AM »
Perhaps someone will help me with hole numbers on this - these were taken in October of 2002 - apologies as this was about 3 or 4 digital cameras ago and thus the images are of pretty poor quality (not to mention, it was not a banner day for photography light-wise)

Something around the 3rd hole or so - par 3

The cape hole (I forget what number it is) - The green site is excellent here - the fairway is a bit awkward

Looking back from the cape green

Some sort of par 3 on the front side

Either the 14th or 15th I believe

16th hole - par 5 around the beach/bay

Taking the scenic route up the 16th

18 - par 4

Ray Richard

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 07:23:46 AM »
This can be a real challenging course if the wind is blowing. If its coming from the east find a nice pub in Portsmouth, NH and ride it out.
The course was noted for a Geoff Cornish design feature-a big cedar tree located directly in front one of the green sites. I recall that it has been removed but it was a design concept of Cornish in the 1960's, to include obstructing trees on approach shots.
 The course is near the Wentworth by the Sea Hotel, which had a real nice pitch and putt course on its front lawn, abandoned during the 1970's.

Ryan-great pictures-the course looks in great condition.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 09:35:58 AM »
I'm not sure about the G. Wright connection (as he may have been still playing baseball when he had to have designed it time-wise), but Ross revamped the claustrophobic 9 on the clubhouse side.  Cornish did the rest, including all holes on the far side of the channel above.  A few of these holes are short, quirky, semi-blind, and a bit too narrow, especially for today's technology.

That being said, I echo Ryan's assertion that it isn't offensive, but not great either.  We played there about October 20th that year, and I took the pic of Ryan walking on the beach after he cut the corner, and had about 80 yards into the "460-yd" par 5.  I hit it terrible and left, and I had like 170 in.

Two things about the pics above....the par 3 before the 16th pics start...the green had been moved to behind the bunker you can see, away from the rocks.  The entire green was formerly to the right of the bunker.

On 16, the green is below the four poles in the distance, so there is some serious turn.  460 yards maybe, but as the crow flies?  Maybe 100 yards less if you dont mind a beach-sand shot at low tide.

I believe you can play it if you stay at the nearby (and redone) gilded-age hotel that is now a Marriott.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 09:37:58 AM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 03:55:38 PM »
This was my favorite course to play when I lived in Durham, NH during the summer of 1984.  I love the hole that borders the ocean.

A fun old fashioned course with a touch of quirk.  

Play it, enjoy, and report!

Michael Christensen

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 05:50:30 PM »
take a look at some of the homes being built around the course...multi-million $ mansions with great views......there has been some talk that the owner may sell the golf course for building lots....that land is worth a fortune

great little course that gets ocean winds almost all the time....the little greens are pretty hard to hold....I believe it has 6 par 3s...and interesting mix of old and new

if you have time, check out Portsmouth CC...a tough test on the bay.....if the wind blows out there, watch out...some very tough cross wind holes

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 09:24:02 PM »
Yep -Portsmouth CC is worth a visit if you're in the area.

I also remember enjoying Rochester Country Club (Orrin E. Smith, architect).  Rochester, NH isn't very far from Portsmouth>

Nick Church

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 10:15:05 PM »
Thanks all.   Especially for the photos.

I think I need a polite way to mention Portsmouth to this man.

Thanks again, everyone.

Michael Christensen

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 10:17:04 PM »
Portsmouth is semi-private...a little pricey on the weekends, but worth the trip!

Brad Tufts

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 09:54:34 AM »
And bring the big stick...b/c Portsmouth is very wide open and long-ish.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back