News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris_Clouser

Re:Kampen course at Purdue University
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2007, 09:54:49 PM »
Andy,

I didn't want to gloss over you comments on Ackerman.  I was able to walk a couple of holes and they appeared to be great fun, but they seemed to a very similar feel to each other and to the other holes I saw as I drove around the course.  I will have to give it a second glance next time I'm up in Lafayette.  

I'll shoot you an e-mail about something else I ran across while up at the Dunes this past week.  Quite interesting.

GDStudio

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2007, 10:02:55 PM »
Chris,

The seven wasn't really a gimmick hole as it was designed to be a research project for the turf program at Purdue.  The entire course is actually designed that way.  The idea was to essentially "close off" one fairway and then switch fairways after a certain amount of play so that it could be studied in various ways, turf impact, re-growth, trends, etc.  Now if it actually was implemented in any way, I am not sure.  It seemed hard to dictate which fairway to hit too when it was only 20-30yards apart (? can't remember exact width of the bunker).

I can speak more about this course later, I was on the construction crew.  That was a fun course to work on, expecially when Pete came around.  

...if I can find them, I have several reports on the course and the idea behind the research aspect that everyone was trying to incorporate into the course.  I am sure Tim could explain some of the ideas in much more detail than I could as well.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 10:06:48 PM by Branden_Wilburn »

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2007, 10:17:24 PM »
Branden,

I can appreciate what the university is trying to do with the golf course, much like what Brad Klein posted earlier in the thread.  But from the perspective of a golfer I just found the hole felt like a gimmick.  Sorry if you took that the wrong way.

I might e-mail you and see about talking about the course more.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2007, 10:48:19 PM »
Chris,
Ackerman is short by modern standards, and has many 370-390 par fours as I remember them. Some of the holes are similar, but there's some decent variety in terms of doglegs and terrain. Its not wonderful, but I do think its very fun to play occasionally.

Appreciate you posting the pictures of Kampen. Also appears you saw The Brassie similar to my own outlook. The land that Kampen was built on didn't have anything in the way of natural features, so in that sense they did pretty well to create anything interesting there...and with that said the Brassie might have been even worse! The Fort may prove that there's terrain in parts of Indiana, but not the whole thing!  :)

GDStudio

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2007, 06:28:02 AM »
Chris,

No worries, I didn't take it the wrong way or get offended, just stating the initial intent.  When building it, many of us questioned that hole and if it really would work or not for its intended purpose.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back