News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Franzen

Falsterbo (pictures)
« on: July 01, 2007, 11:12:47 AM »
Visited Falsterbo yesterday for a morning round with Peter Herried, a GCA-poster from Seattle. Needless to say, like everyone else I have met from this board Peter turned out to be a nice gentleman and great company on the course.

Falsterbo was not up to it's normal fast and firm summer finish after a couple of days of heavy rain. As shown on the pictures below, some of the bunkers were even filled with water.

The course is situated at the tip of Sweden's south west peninsula. The current 18-hole routing was laid out by Gunnar Bauer in 1930, who incorporated and redesigned the holes from the old 9-hole course, which dates back to 1911.

All of the green complexes were rebuilt and redesigned by Swedish architects Peter Nordwall and Peter Chamberlain between 1995 to 2001.

The clubhouse

1st (par 4, 450 yds)

3rd (par 5, 560 yds)

4th (par 4, 445 yds)

5th (par 4, 410 yds)

6th (par 3, 170 yds)

7th (par 4, 320 yds)

9th (par 4, 425 yds)

Second nine to follow

Eric Franzen

Re:Falsterbo (pictures)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 11:21:18 AM »
11th (par 3, 160 yds)

12th (par 4, 405 yds)

13th (par 5, 565 yds)

14th (par 3, 230 yds)

15th (par 5, 530 yds)

16th (par 4, 390 yds)

17th (par 4, 380 yds)

18th (par 5, 485 yds)

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 12:39:03 PM »
Neat photos, Eric. Thanks.

My brother's wife is Swedish. I keep encouraging him to visit Falsterbo on his annual visit to Sweden. Is the course open to public play? And, where exactly is it?

Looks like they need some drainage work done in the bunkers. Wow. That's bad.
jeffmingay.com

Eric Franzen

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 12:51:26 PM »
Jeff,

Falsterbo is located 30 minutes outside of Malmo, in the very southern end of Sweden. It takes around 5 to 6 hours to drive there from Stockholm.

The course is open for public play seven days a week. The greenfee is around 85 USD.

Cheers,

Eric

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 12:59:59 PM »
Fortunately, Eric has kept this post free from "ass pix", so that mine would not distract from the beauty that is Falsterbo!

I don't know how "hidden" Falsterbo is to those on the Atlantic side of the pond, but it certainly has never gotten much talk on our side.  It is truly a gem, and the closest comparison I could think of in the States to the feel at Falsterbo would be at Maidstone--perhaps mostly the holes at Maidstone other than #8-#10--nothing that dramatically "intra-dunes" at Falsterbo...

Yes, there was some water in the bunkers and occasionally on the fairways, but there were other parts of the course that did play firm enough to permit the ground game.  From the looks of the green-sites, there were many other places such shots could normally be attempted in the usual conditions...

By the way, for those of you GCA'ers who balk at travelling a few miles to meet up with other GCA'ers, let it be known that Eric Franzen travelled over 5 hrs from Stockholm Friday night to meet me for golf, and then travelled all the way back on Saturday afternoon--all before heading out to London on a business trip!  Truly above and beyond ---a fine gentleman indeed!

I will post some of my pix when I get back to the States in 10 days, as I may be playing Barseback and Halmstad, as well, if timing and weather hold up...More thoughts on Falsterbo then...

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 02:37:14 PM »
If Falsterbo has had anything like the weather we have had in the UK recently they are lucky even to be playing.  We have serious floods, rivers and dams overflowing, and it's still raining as I write.  The prospects for the coming week are not good.  My own club, Conwy, is sand all the way to Australia, but in weather like this even its bunkers become lakes.  I suspect that Falsterbo is a no more than a few feet above high-tide line.  It's bound to get waterlogged in wet weather.  I can remember playing TOC with Hell Bunker a lake.  Probably a few hours later it was back to normal.  I can also remember taking my father to play at Royal Troon.  We sat in the clubhouse watching the 18th green disappear under a minor pond.  He never did get to play it.  It was probably firm and fast the next day.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back