News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Open qualifying halted at Sunningdale
« on: July 02, 2007, 09:38:09 AM »
BBC radio are reporting that qualifying on the Sunningdale Old Course was temporarily suspended this morning after four groups had played the par 3 4th.  In that time one player had4-puttedfrom 2 feet and another had 5 putted.  The hole location was moved and once the four groups had finished their rounds they returned to the 4th to replay it.

In the effort to "challenge" top players, are course set-ups becoming borderline stupid?  I played at The Berkshire on Friday which was great fun, as always but the afternoon round on the Red Course took nearly five hours.  The Berkshire Trophy was last weekend and whilst the greens were quick but not as quick as they would have been then, the fairways and rough were still in "competition" nick.  Frankly, some holes were ridiculous.  The fairway on the 1st on the Red was only 20 yards wide.  On the 15th on the Blue the fairway was only 10 yards wide at 280 yards from the yellow tees (so presumably it narrowed at 300/310 from the back tees.  The 8th on the Blue (which is a tough hole at the best of times) had a fairway no more than 20 yards wide.

These fairways were significantly narrower than normal and made the course play much, much harder for all.  Does anyone know what score won the Berkshire Trophy?  For me, these are great courses but short by modern tournament standards.  If the Berkshire still want to have a prestigious tournament then they need to accept that scores will be low, rather than set it up to make it a test of luck as much as judgment and skill.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Philip Gawith

Re:Open qualifying halted at Sunningdale
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 10:18:16 AM »
I agree with you Mark - seems pretty foolish/unnecessary behaviour. The Australian Open seems to lead the way in pushing its greens OTT about every 3 years. I wonder where the pin was on the 4th?

AndrewB

Re:Open qualifying halted at Sunningdale
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 04:40:46 PM »
The fourth at Sunningdale Old has probably the longest false front I've ever seen.  It's a stretch to call this area a false front since I'm talking about the first two thirds of the green.  The entire green slopes back to front, but there is a portion at the back that is flatter.  I would imagine the fact that the green is so elevated makes this less of a problem since balls will be coming in at a lower trajectory and less likely to spin back all the way off the front.  The green reminded me of 15 at Pine Valley except the "false front" there is only about half of the green.

Does anyone know where on the green the hole was located?  The article Brian linked to was too specific (near a hollow) for me to figure out where they were talking about.
"I think I have landed on something pretty fine."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back