News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Cinderella Story
« on: June 24, 2007, 01:16:48 AM »
The Oregon Amateur was held at Columbia-Edgewater Golf Club last week, with 36 holes of qualifying Monday and Tuesday followed by six rounds of match play.  Although he was 15 shots back of three co-leaders (137) in qualifying, Adam Hagen won his six matches handily, with only one close call, a 1 up victory over Randy Mahar, a 7-time club champion at CECC.  Adam was seven under during the afternoon round of the 36-hole final which he won 5&4.  His other results were 5&4, 8&7, 6&5 and 4&3.  All square after 18 holes of the Saturday final, his seven birdies blew away his finals opponent.

Adam is a 24-year old college student who also works most days in the bag room at Columbia-Edgewater.  It's a Cinderella story!  8)  

GCA's own Peter Pittock was a rules official for the OGA during the tournament.

Pete_Pittock

Re:Cinderella Story
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 01:52:22 AM »
Bill,
 Everyone raved about the course conditions. The membership, superintendent and his crew should be proud of how the course presented itself. I hope you had a chance to play the course on Saturday, especially #8.
 I've known Adam since his peewee days, he played for Nevada-Reno and also won the Oregon Publc Links earlier this month. His finals opponent turned pro after the event.
 The 100th Oregon Amateur will be held in 2009 at Bandon Dunes Resort.

Bill_McBride

Re:Cinderella Story
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 12:47:11 PM »
Interesting that Ryan Fery, Adam's opponent in the finals, is turning pro at 30!  That's pretty old to be turning professional.  Maybe he has a club job lined up.

I didn't play Saturday but did play Friday and will play this afternoon.  The greens were slick!  I was 10' behind #5 on Friday, barely nicked the putt and wound up 15' below for my next one!  Those lovely poa greens must have been at least 12', and very true.

#8 is a great midsize par 4, I hate that red tree at 150 yards!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 12:49:56 PM by Bill_McBride »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back