News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

2009 Sydney World Masters Games
« on: August 20, 2007, 09:19:58 PM »
The organisers have published dates, venues and format on their new website.  http://www.2009worldmasters.com/Golf/default.aspx

Open to all golfers 35+ with established handicaps. Flighted both by handicap and age. Each participant will play one 'premier' course in their three days of competition. NSW and Lakes are two, which is the third?

I will use this as the excuse to head back down and play the great courses I missed in that corner of the world, Tasmania, Mornington and NZ.

Competition Dates
12-16 October 2009

Venues:
12 Oct: Mona Vale Golf Club, Monash Country Club and Pymble Golf Club
13 Oct: Long Reef Golf Club, Pennant Hills Golf Club, New South Wales Golf Club
14 Oct: Liverpool Golf Club, St. Michael’s Golf Club, The Coast Golf Club
15 Oct: Bonnie Doon Golf Club, The Lakes Golf Club, Ryde-Parramatta Golf Club
16 Oct: Bankstown Golf Club, Long Reef Golf Club, Mona Vale Golf Golf Club

Age Categories:
Men and Women: 35-44, 45-54, 55-64, 65-74 & 75+
Age determined at 31 December 2009

Grades:
Golf Handicaps recognised by International Governing Bodies (USGA, England Golf Union, Golf Australia etc) are required by all competitors.

Competition Details:
Each competitor to play 54 holes, including 18 holes on a designated “premier” course.
Nett Individual Stableford format.
Each venue to issue Winner, Runner Up and Third Place day prizes in each age category.
The Event Match Committee reserves the right to reduce competitors’ handicaps throughout the competition.
Each place getter will qualify for an additional Finals Round (a fourth round of Golf), continuing the Individual Stableford format.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 10:46:08 PM by Pete_Pittock »

James Bennett

Re:2009 Sydney World Masters Games
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 10:22:02 PM »
Pete

it is in Adelaide in October 2008 (well Australian Masters anyway) but the golf courses being used here are even more average than those the lesser ones selected in Sydney (perhaps less than average).

Hopefully you will get to (in order) Monash or Pymble, NSW, St Michaels, The Lakes and Long Reef.  You might need to vary your age from day to day to get that draw!

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 10:04:51 PM »
All of the courses mentioned there (except for NSW) are merely adequate members courses. By the time the event is on, Mike Clayton will have probably finished his work at The Lakes, so it will be worth a hit.

The Coast, Liverpool & Bankstown are probably the worst of that bunch.

Matt_Sullivan

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 10:58:14 PM »
I would mostly agree with Andrew's assessment of the courses, except that, even pre-Clayton, the back 9 at the Lakes is some of the best golf in NSW and Qld (other than NSWGC). 10, 11(!), 12, 13, 14(!), 16 and 17 are really good, and fun, holes.

Not a fan of the front 9 at all though (4 through 9 in particular is a pretty mind-numbing stretch and 2 is not much better; 1 and 3 are good holes though). Will be interesting to see what Clayton does with that.

I hear he has dug up number 18 already. Does anyone think you could turn 17 into a fun shortish par 4 (perhaps with the green where the bridge is to cross on to the second part of current 17 fairway) and then make 18 a par 4? Maybe 11 green would get in the way? Although I like the second shot at 17, I am not a fan of the forced lay up tee shot on a par 5, which is why maybe a par 4 would work?

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 11:28:24 PM »
Matt,

You are correct about The Lakes. The back nine has some reasonable holes.

I'm not sure what would be best for the 17th. It's a weird hole.

James Bennett

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 11:43:28 PM »
Andrew

I think JES II would describe The Lakes #17 as a 'cart before the horse' hole.  Huntingdon Valley (C-2) has such a hole, but with a shallow stream forcing a diagonal/lateral target, as opposed to the deep, unforgivign, ball consuming lake at #17 at the fairway's end.

I do find The Lakes #17 to be a more interesting hole than Coolum #15 - a long par 5 that requires a lay-up from the tee!

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 01:08:31 AM »
Thanks for the information guys. I still am planning to enter and looking forward to the trip. Hopefully I will see some of you.

Matt_Sullivan

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 02:23:42 AM »
17 tee shot has some merit in that the braver and better you are with the lay up (ie longer and lefter), the better your chance of hitting the green in two, or at least getting close.

I hear the some long hitting pros can carry it over the "island fairway" onto the second piece of fairway. That's a big hit!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back