News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne_Kozun

Re:Zach Attack: What does his win say about the architecture?
« Reply #125 on: April 09, 2007, 03:29:39 PM »
I hope you understand that the reason you get fewer unexpected winners at the Masters is not because it is a superior tournament to the two opens and the pga. It is simply because you eliminate most of the possible unexpected winners before the tournament even begins. Some would say that the masters is a joke as far as being a major is concerned. The lack of real competition is astounding.
That is certainly correct that there are about half as many golfers in the Masters, at least when you exclude the former champions that no longer have a chance.

But the romantic in me likes to think that superior skills are required in this event, just like an Open Championship at St Andrews that tends to allow only the very best to win the event.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #126 on: April 09, 2007, 03:41:23 PM »
I hope you understand that the reason you get fewer unexpected winners at the Masters is not because it is a superior tournament to the two opens and the pga. It is simply because you eliminate most of the possible unexpected winners before the tournament even begins. Some would say that the masters is a joke as far as being a major is concerned. The lack of real competition is astounding.
That is certainly correct that there are about half as many golfers in the Masters, at least when you exclude the former champions that no longer have a chance.

But the romantic in me likes to think that superior skills are required in this event, just like an Open Championship at St Andrews that tends to allow only the very best to win the event.

I'll let you get away with that as long as you can get your wife to atest to the fact that you are a romantic.  :)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #127 on: May 20, 2007, 06:30:48 PM »
*bump*

How about now?

By the way, before the playoff, Zach Johnson said that "today was a day to glorify God".

Huh?

He almost reminds me of this girl who played on the golf team at OU - she'd literally drop to one knee, point towards heaven, and pray. Before every shot. Even on the driving range. No joke.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #128 on: May 20, 2007, 06:34:48 PM »

By the way, before the playoff, Zach Johnson said that "today was a day to glorify God".

Good for Zach...on the comment and another win.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #129 on: May 20, 2007, 06:48:43 PM »
Which God?

Mammon, perchance? ;D

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #130 on: May 20, 2007, 07:33:10 PM »

Good for Zach...on the comment and another win.

"He has gone insane - obviously insane, sir"

"His ideas, methods...have become unsound..."

Brent Hutto

« Reply #131 on: May 20, 2007, 08:04:45 PM »
I guess what Zach is mostly thankful for is the State of Georgia.

So is winning the Masters like winning a dollar for making a birdie? You've got to validate by winning another event or it doesn't count?

Doug Siebert

« Reply #132 on: May 28, 2007, 03:08:03 AM »
The doubters probably won't count it until he wins another major.  If he does, I'm gonna resurrect this thread and see if they'll eat their words ;)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back