News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Noel Freeman

RIP The 16th Green at St. Enodoc
« on: May 16, 2007, 08:27:10 PM »
There are many who view St. Enodoc in near mystic reverance.  Whether the affection is deeply planted and spiritual because of the Norman church on the property or if it just for the spirtual nature a great golf course can give--it is irrelevant--it is one of the special places in the game.

I've visited several times inspired by both Doak and Steel but moreover by John Betjeman.  Russell Talley and I meandered over the property near the summer soltice at 9pm in a scene out of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly where Tuco is searching for the gold in a single minded, ecstactic trance.  It was then that Russell nicknamed me Tuco because of the way I ran around St. Enodoc.  My wanderings and love of the course resulted in an article for Neil Crafter's Golf Architecture.

The 16th hole was one of the great short par 5 links holes I've played.  Totally natural and short at 495 yards, it was a wonderful incendiary hole to a great finish.  The land rippled like ocean tides especially in the landing area and a speed slot could be reached by a tender fade eaving a short approach and chance for eagle.  When Paul Turner and I visited a few years back, I was able to execute 2 shot and hole a 3.  The pictures below show the original green site which was ringed in between some wonderful natural dunes--the perfect setting for a links hole.  The ball is where I landed before knocking in the Eagle.

But alas, no more.  The club hired Peter McEvoy to do renovation work around the club and add some length.. To a Par 69 golf course that was 6200 yards and a course record of 64 no less!  My jibe is not to insult or disrespect the club nor the architect for I have not seen the work outside of what is published in the St. Enodoc magazine.. Just go to their website, there is an article in the magazine about how the club thought the hole became too short in summer with birdies galore evident by the big hitters.. A fair critique--maybe, but what have they done?  The new green is I believe 40 yards back of the old and now has bunkers protecting it-- I would have though they at least kept the hole bunkerless. And if some of the long knockers were hitting driver 9 iron or wedge in summer time I don't see what hitting driver 6 or 7 iron now is really going to accomplish.  Enodoc is not going to have any pro events, maybe some nice Amateurs but all they needed to do was make it a par 68 for that or make the very difficult 10th a par 5... Oh well, maybe I just have sour grapes and should see the work but do note some of the past work on some of the holes there (the new 13th green) has not been totally well received.  To each their own..

« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 08:31:31 PM by NA Freeman »

Tommy Williamsen

Re:RIP The 16th Green at St. Enodoc
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 08:38:42 PM »
I played SE last spring and loved #16.  It hepled that I made a four.  The course is great the way it is.  I'm not sure how lentghening will help it at all. i agree.  The course does not need to be any tougher.  It is great the way it is.  I hope its character doesn't change.  And I would suspect one could still play the course as it is now, unless they bunker it etc.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 10:06:36 PM »
NAF/Tuco I am too sad to hear of this change.  The architect is a fine man and great golfer but what has that to do with architecture.

Ed Tilley

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 03:36:26 AM »
From what I've heard, it's not just a case of lenghtening the hole. They've moved the green back and up into the dunes - what they perceive to be a superior green site. There was always a lot of talk that it could be a better hole if they put the green there. I haven't played the new hole - I'm going later this year - so I will reserve judgement until then.

I would say that I hope they haven't ruined it as 16 was a fantastic hole - definitely a par 4.5 but where's the harm in that? It's not as if St.Enodoc is an easy course - the course record is only 4 or 5 under.

RT

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 06:12:06 AM »
I think there's been a knock-on effect to the 17th tee position because of the 16th green being moved back onto the large dune slope?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 01:37:24 PM »
Totally natural and short at 495 yards, it was a wonderful incendiary hole to a great finish.

Tuco has a way with words...  8)

Noel, does the new greensite have similar lumpy random rolls and bowls?  RT, what does knock-on mean... a knock on the head of those on the 17tee?  :-\
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back