News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Evan_Smith

Re:Membership reaction to tree removal
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2007, 01:42:54 AM »
We took out over 220 Carolina Poplars at Cataraqui G&CC (Kingston, Ontario) around 12 years ago.  Yes. initially the look of the course changed, but because someone did some planning a long time ago, beside just about every Poplar was an Ash.  With the Poplars growing quickly, they choked the Ash and they never grew to their potential.  It took about a year after the Poplars were removed, but the Ash realized they now had room to grow and they filled out beautifully.  Now the course has the look that it had previoulsy and we don't have to spend time (=money) cleaning up bits of the Poplars after every heavy wind.
We've also cut down some beautiful Eastern White Pine (and others), but they were affecting the turf conditions and they had to go.  I would bet that most members don't even remember the lost trees within 3 years after their removal.  I wish more people would only plant native species of trees on their courses and consult an expert (architects, some superintendants) about where to plant the new trees.  If this were the case, we wouldn't have this conversation anymore.

James Bennett

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2007, 03:35:22 AM »

Although on this topic my all time favorite quote, and this is literal, an elderly female member at an annual meeting of a club at which I am no longer a member stated, "M. . . You're cutting down all the trees . . . do you realize there's no more shade on the course . . . .?"  

I almost fell out of my chair but the cheesecake and coffee held me in place :) . . .

People love their trees and 80 somethings love their shade but at the end of the day it's all about the angles baby . . . the more the better . . .

Jason

I think your elderly female member was at my Club's Master Plan evening about two and a half years ago.  She must play 'down under' in Adelaide Australia during your winter.  Alternately, there is more than one of them out there.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

TEPaul

« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2007, 08:25:42 AM »
“I have spent years studying the virtues and liabilities of trees in golf and have never run across the "leak factor".”

Dunlop:

One must live and learn right? It does seem a pretty unexpected thing to have to consider but who can deny it’s a prickly, uncomfortable or even painful reality? I will wager not a single “tree remover” of the type of Oakmont’s Mark Studer ever considered the exigencies of the “leak factor” of treeless golf courses.

And I don’t know who’s going to be commentating at the Open, whether it will be Miller or Feherty or McCord or Faldo but I do think we definitely need to make them aware of the “leak factor” problems of Oakmont, at least in an architectural context.  ;)

Perhaps we can get them to recommend some “technique” such as fellow competitors and caddies surrounding the “leaker” sort of the way Europeans do when they change at the beach.

Maybe Kelly Tilghman can even weigh in with some type of semi-disguised “squat” technique for women “leakers” on treeless golf courses. My recommendation is that they "squat" next to their golf bags and pretend to be fishing around for a new glove or ball or lipstick or whatever.

I believe the linksland has been yearning for the day when America would once again look back to them and turn to them for some significant advice on golf and architecture and the “leak factor” on treeless golf course may offer that opportunity for the first time in perhaps a century.

“It will be interesting to see how the announcers reference the tree removal program at Oakmont during the Open telecast.”

Patrick:

It certainly will be interesting to see what the commentators say about the massive tree removal at Oakmont. All I will guarantee is that it will definitely be a big topic prevalently discussed.

The other thing that will probably be prevalently discussed at Oakmont is the green speed they run or at least attempt to run. This very much worries me because I’ve heard from an unimpeachable source what they would like to run if they can and if they’re able to, it too will be a prevalent topic of commentary and it's going to send a really dangerous message to the world of golf.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 08:35:17 AM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2007, 08:41:00 AM »
By the way, which network and which commentators are going to be working the US Open at Oakmont?

Whoever they are I'm definitely going to attempt to email them and make them aware of this most important and unexpected issue---eg the "leak factor" problems of treeless golf courses.

Mike_Young

« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2007, 09:35:59 AM »
It will be interesting to see how the announcers reference the tree removal program at Oakmont during the Open telecast.

Their perspective can have a positive or a negative influence on local golf clubs throughout America, depending upon whether they embrace or reject the concept.

Who will comprise the broadcast team ?
I know Charlie Rymer will be doing the compucast and probably will try to have a few guest such as Brad K discussing such issues....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Kalen Braley

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2007, 09:44:09 AM »
In the past this has usually been NBCs gig, but this year it looks like CBS is telecasting it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back