News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

rough AND trees!?!?
« on: May 05, 2007, 07:29:19 PM »
after an errrant tee ball yesterday I found myself with a pretty bad lie in some long grass near some trees, which made me wonder..

....should grass in wooded areas be kept short?  I'm not talking about keeping it maintained like fairway grass, but just cut fairly short/really short...maybe like "Augusta rough" (that thump you just heard was Bobby Jones falling off his chair in heaven that such a term is even possible)

isn't having both long grass and trees an unnecessary double penalty?

or would the extra cutting be too much of a maintenance expense for most?

and I am certainly NOT advocating cutting down all the trees, as I 'm sure some of you would!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Joe Hancock

Re:rough AND trees!?!?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 07:34:34 PM »
Paul,

If you mean the setup that would be best for us average golf types, then I am an advocate for short rough, if any. Most of us non-pro's lack the the strength and clubhead speed to realistically deal with deep, wet rough.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Jon Wiggett

Re:rough AND trees!?!?
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 07:25:29 AM »
Paul,

like a bunker in the middle of the fairway, the long rough and trees were there to see before you hit the shot so they are not really unfair. On the other hand where does it say in the rules golf should be fair so purely on this basis no it shouldn't be cut shorter.

However, Joe hits the nail on the head. It all depends on the type of course, standard of player and situation of the hole. If these suggest it should be shorter then get cutting.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back