News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith Durrant

Tom Simpson's Fontainebleau
« on: August 23, 2005, 05:17:49 PM »
I recently played a round at Tom Simpson's Golf de Fontainebleau which lies about an hour's drive south of Paris.

These are taken on a camera-phone, and it was a little bit of a grey day - the course can be more photogenic, i'm sure.

The 1st, short par 4 of 340 yds - the fairway falls away from right to left leaving an uphill second to the green. The cross bunkers are only around 140 yards from the tee and only punish a bad mishit.

The 2nd, par 3, 180 yards - heather-clad hillside partially hides the green which is pushed up.

3rd hole, epic par 5, 530 yds, with teardrop bunker - a good drive will still land some way short of the bunker.

Although the golfer can see the length of the hole from the tee, a great drive leaves this blind second over the rise:

And then the approach to the green:

The 4th hole, a super par 4, 420 yds, sweeping dogleg right - the approach shot (you may be able to just make out the tiered green):

The 6th hole, par 4, 365 yds, probably my favourite. Narrow tee-shot:

Approach shot, over sea of bunkers:

To this sunken, demi-punchbowl green:

Par 4 7th, 435 yds, approach:

On the 8th hole, this tree is showing its age. Don't mention "tree removal" project here ;)

9th hole, short par 4: intimidating bunker guards the corner of the dogleg right:

Leaves this approach to the lovely olde clubhouse:

10th, par 3, 195 yds, a well protected tiered green:

11th, par 5, long 560 yds, prime lay-up area in front of the cross-bunkers, features a depression:

12th par 5, 470 yds, reachable in 2, challenges the golfer to hit over a carpet of boulders to find the green in two:

14th par 3, 165 yds. The 3 cross-bunkers are deep enough to obscure the flag completely, when in them.

Side shot of the green: Being long on this hole is no bargain either as the two tiered green leaves a dicey downhiller to the hole with this flag position:

15th, par 4, 430 yds, features a blind second shot at marker pole, over these cross bunkers:

16th, beautiful downhill sweeping dogleg left, 390 yds: Approach shot.

17th, short par 4, from the ladies tee (men play from an angle from the left), seemed one of the weaker holes on the course, but the bonnie heather keeps the golfer engaged:

18th, solid par 4 finish, 430 yds, elevated tee with more cross bunkers and very wide green:

18th

Voila !!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 07:00:01 AM by Keith Durrant »

Jeff_Mingay

Re:Tom Simpson's Fontainebleau
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 05:55:32 PM »
Pretty good shots from a phone, Keith!

The areas between the tees and fairways are beautiful. So often these days, the area between tee and fairway is mown and manicured simply so a topped shot isn't lost. It's too bad, 'cause as you can see at Fontainebleau, the native stuff between the tees and fairways adds so much to the beauty of a golf course.

The course's rugged, heathlands look is wonderful.  
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 05:58:03 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Marc Haring

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 03:27:07 AM »
Great looking pictures and course. Reminds me of Simpsons New Zealand but with more of the original bunkering.
Out of control tree lines is such a trait of French courses.

T_MacWood

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 06:14:56 AM »
Very nice pictures. This is early Simpson...1912 or so.

RT

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 06:35:19 AM »
Keith,

Great quality photos with this phone cam.  What make and model is it if not being too prying?

RT

Keith Durrant

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 12:45:31 PM »
Thanks - it's a SonyEricsson W750i - either this or the W800i have the same camera (2 megapixels).

Stuart Hallett

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 12:20:59 AM »
Marc,

I agree with your comment on tree lines, although Fontainebleau has the same problems as us at St-Germain when dealing with trees. The National Forestry Office (ONF) own both sites and control any tree cutting, very strictly. The ONF bio-diversity offices are located right at the edge of the course at Fontainebleau, and you can be sure that the sound of a chainsaw is closely followed by a commando type visit.

We do however keep good relationships with ONF and negotiate hard for the removal of problem trees. Non-native species can generally come down as we please, and the removal of significant numbers of native species can be agreed if replanting is done in suitable areas.

I know that the greenkeeper at Fontainebleau works closely with the ONF on dry heath re-establishment, hence some tree removal. Most of the surrounding forest is covered by Natura 2000 habitat classification. The forest is very rich ecologically and has four different bio-geographical zones meeting in the heart of the forest.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 12:34:30 AM »
Thanks for the great photo tour, one of the best yet on
gca.com. After Stuart's explanation it's easier to understand
why the trees are so...plentiful?  
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 12:35:05 AM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Keith Durrant

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 07:25:16 AM »
Stuart, Marc,

In general, the trees only impinge on a couple of the holes (that I could see):

- the par 5 3rd does have a bunker half-hidden within the tree line on the right of the tee-shot, which can't have been within the original design

- this hole below (13th) also has several trees down the left side and a tree actually hanging out over the bunker on the inside of the dogleg, which tends to disallow the "tiger" shot over the bunker, again surely not part of the original design intention

In general, the course was beautifully maintained, with very true greens. It did not play as firm as I thought that it might, being laid out over sand-based terrain. Shots tended to stop close to their pitch-marks on both the greens and their approaches - perhaps we've had more rain than I imagine, recently.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 07:28:56 AM by Keith Durrant »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back