News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rich Goodale

Remodelling (slightly OT)
« on: April 12, 2007, 10:07:44 AM »
Went to see Bob Dylan last night in Glasgow.  What a great remodelling job!  The absolute genius of the backbone of his work is still there, but it's been modernized with a GREAT band and some amazing arrangements (including incorporating Hendrix's "Watchtower" solo riff into the act.

Merion, Cypress, Royal Melbourne, the Old Course, etc. should take note (as it were......).

Mike Nuzzo

Re:Remodelling (slightly OT)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 10:58:20 AM »

Aside from Hip Hop, rap and pop I thought there was a strong movement of folk singer-songwriters currently on the charts.

How would you explain that?
It sounds like minimalism to me.  :)

I was listening to a little Dylan already this morning, I hope it was extra fun.

Cheers

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 11:33:22 AM »
Rich:
You and Dylan could be paired together.  I heard he has taken up golf.

Bob Dylan 'buys Highlands house'  

Dylan pictured during the degree ceremony at St Andrews
Musician Bob Dylan and his brother are reported to have bought a mansion in the Cairngorms National Park.
Aultmore House near Nethybridge, Inverness-shire, had previously been available to rent for £3,000 a night.

The 65-year-old US singer, who is reported to have purchased the Edwardian property with David Zimmerman, is fond of Scotland.

His album Time Out of Mind includes a track called Highlands and he has an honorary degree from St Andrews.

Ron Farris

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 01:27:06 PM »
My wife and I saw Bob Dylan about a year ago.  It was a horrible, yet wonderful experience for us.  

We couldn't understand a word he sang.  It was all mumble-jumble slurred-like singing.  My kids were there and they didn't care about the words at all.

I didn't care that I couldn't understand the words, as it was fun just to hear the music and see young kids enjoying it.  

To relate this to golf architecture --------- Some old courses while rich in history may be short on length, yet maintain some interest. Today's EXTREME GOLF crowd would only here the sound and not even care about the message being sent via the words.  

It might be like conparing Pacific Dunes to Pradera.  Pacific is subtle and you have to search a little to find the mesage.  Pradera is point-blank right infront of you.  

I am a Springsteen, Led Zepplin, and Supertramp kind of guy so it is really hard to make an honest opinion of the concert other than it was fun to get out with friends.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 01:37:45 PM »
Good stuff, Ron.  Exactly the kind of thgouhts I hoped to stimulate.  As I fruther reflect, I'll further develop mine.

Amazing, Joel.  I've taken up golf too, and am also re-jumpstarting my singing career up in Dornoch this summer.

Mike.  Little Dylan is very, very different to the Big Dylan I saw last night.  Neither worse nor better, but very different.  He couldn't have fitted 1/2 of the band and equipment he had last night into the Inkwell.....

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 01:53:17 PM »
Good stuff, Ron.  Exactly the kind of thgouhts I hoped to stimulate.  As I fruther reflect, I'll further develop mine.

Why wasn't mine?  

Because my hypothesis of the corelation of a significant minimalistic approach to music as being similar to the movement in GCA doesn't support your argument?  :)

I hope Lloyd doesn't take your advice...  :)
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back