News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alex_Wyatt

If you don't know that ANGC is now an abomination...
« on: April 07, 2007, 09:11:21 AM »
Then you really have been wasting your time on this website.

And the worst part of all this is the example Augusta sets around the country and the world for other clubs. Somewhere in Japan and India and  Africa and Missouri are club committees deciding they need to lengthen and narrow their courses to "combat" technology.

David_Elvins

Re:If you don't know that ANGC is now an abomination...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 09:49:52 AM »
This tournament would be one of the all time greatest tournaments ever if they actually shortened up the course, widened up the fairways and rolled the damn ball back 15%.

It's all about the firm and fast.  It has nothing to do with the lengthening.

Hell, the course was long last year, but it played soft, and we didn't hear any of this whining.

I am not sure if they played every hole off the back tees last year.  Have they played solely off the back tees this year?

I can't see a lot wrong with the lengthening now that they have done it.  Playing at 7,500 this year can't be any different than playing at 6900 for last 50 years of the 20th century.

You could keep the length and make it more interesting just by decreasing rough, trees, and altering pin positions, avoiding the whole tournament ball controversy.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 09:51:22 AM by David_Elvins »
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Mike_Young

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 10:19:27 AM »
If you noticed 16 was around 155 yards or so yesterday and supposedly a few more tees were up....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 10:28:36 AM »
Thank goodness there are examples such as Oakmont and others who have thought through their alterations.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 10:38:49 AM »
Alex,

Thank goodness there are folks like you who can speak with 100% certainty about what I don't know.  I thought my teenage boys were the only experts on that subject.

With this helpful guidance I will now reconsider everything I thought I had learned about golf course architecture.

tlavin

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 10:46:12 AM »

And the worst part of all this is the example Augusta sets around the country and the world for other clubs. Somewhere in Japan and India and  Africa and Missouri are club committees deciding they need to lengthen and narrow their courses to "combat" technology.

An instant Top Ten Idiotic Post.

archie_struthers

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 11:08:34 AM »
 :D ;D ???

I think the tournament is pretty interesting. My old buddy Billy Papa always says if you one putt every hole no one can beat you!

Might be the ticket, as best putter wins again Sunday!

Alex_Wyatt

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 12:50:41 PM »
Terry,

Have you ever spoken to a Japanese green chairman or club president about why they are Planting trees on their course?

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 12:58:50 PM »

Bad form, Terry!

tlavin

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 02:24:39 PM »

Bad form, Terry!

Maybe, Mark, but don't forget that this cipher is insulting anybody who dares to disagree with his opinion, no matter how uninformed it may be.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 02:35:46 PM »
Alex,

Thank goodness there are folks like you who can speak with 100% certainty about what I don't know.  I thought my teenage boys were the only experts on that subject.

With this helpful guidance I will now reconsider everything I thought I had learned about golf course architecture.

Eric,
I can't put my thoughts on this any better than you did in your post.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 03:10:52 PM »

Bad form, Terry!

Maybe, Mark, but don't forget that this cipher is insulting anybody who dares to disagree with his opinion, no matter how uninformed it may be.

In the spirit of the Easter season, the Man of the season certainly demonstrated that not all insults are worthy of a response.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

JESII

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 08:59:15 PM »
Terry,

Have you ever spoken to a Japanese green chairman or club president about why they are Planting trees on their course?

Do you also blame NASCAR when a kid gets killed while drag racing somewhere?

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 09:31:12 PM »
Terry,

Do you also blame NASCAR when a kid gets killed while drag racing somewhere?

Of course not. I blame Big Daddy Don Garlits.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back