News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Cenci

Wolf Creek Golf Course (Nevada)
« on: March 24, 2007, 05:47:41 PM »
Just played the course this morning....got to say that I was very impressed with the course.  The site that it is on is probably the most rugged looking site for a golf course.   The surrounding desert cliffs and valleys are so severe I was impressed how they were able to fit such a fabulous course in there.

I played the tips and at a little less then 7000 wasn't as hard as I thought would be, considering the starter gives me the old "don't play those, we recommend those only for professional players."  Then he tells me..."based on the rating and slope this is the hardest ocurse in America"  I think the rating is 75.6 and slope is 154.  I don't have the numbers off the top of my head on some other courses but I would say that Whistling Straits, Wolf Run, Tobacco Road, etc. are all harder courses.

The layout is good considering the location and I really liked how many exclusive tee boxes there were for the very very back tees.  Felt like you were playing your own course.  

Now I preface my comments in that I am from Michigan and the only "desert" or "western" layouts I have played are Desert Mountain (Chiriqua and Otlaw), Lakota Canyon, Redlands Mesa and Old Works.  This course tops all them.  It has some great vistas out there and it is a good variety of holes (risk/reward, forced carries, redan, long par 4's, short par 4's, long par 3's, short par 3's)

A few things I didn't like were the cart path issues out there.  A lot of ups and downs and steep hills.  U had to walk to your ball everywhere from the paths.  The cart paths were too skinny in fact so u could never get around people.  Also, I thought a few holes there was a little too much "target" golf (similar to Tobacco Road).  I really didn't know where I was going or was supposed to aim...but a few more rounds there and you'd get the feel.

Overall a solid course (personally think it's in the #17 to #25 range in my own rankings ahead of like Lakota Canyon, Redlands Mesa, etc).  I thank those who recommended it to me.

-Brian
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 06:01:36 PM by Brian Cenci »

cary lichtenstein

Re:Wolf Creek Golf Course (Nevada)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 06:21:58 PM »
Next up for you should be Black Mesa, you will like that even more.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

George Pazin

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 06:24:24 PM »
Don't know if you care or not, but there is tons of discussion of this course on the site, mostly from 3-5 years ago - it might just be the most polarizing course discussed on here.

I won't be going back anytime soon.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 07:23:14 PM »
One and done for me.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

John Mayhugh

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 09:36:25 PM »
Wolf Creek is one unique course.  I enjoyed many of the holes but really disliked treating all of the desert as a hazard.  

How did you play the long par 3 on the front (I think #8) from the tips?  It was close to 250 with essentially no bail out area from water on 3 sides.  I thought this hole was the least fair on the course.

Brian Cenci

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 09:48:55 AM »
Wolf Creek is one unique course.  I enjoyed many of the holes but really disliked treating all of the desert as a hazard.  

How did you play the long par 3 on the front (I think #8) from the tips?  It was close to 250 with essentially no bail out area from water on 3 sides.  I thought this hole was the least fair on the course.

John,
    Yea....it's #8 and that hole is nuts....it's 255 from the tips and u can brely see the green because of the angle of the hole and a tree near the green.  There is a creek that wraps around the hole on 3 sides that really protects the green.  Your only advantage that it is downhill and probably takes 20 yds off your shot.  I hit a 4 wood to about 20 feet and made par....but standing on the tee I thought this was one of the toughest par 3's i've ever played.

I actually though #3 (i think it was) was a tougher par 3 from the tips...225 up hill all carry and u can't even see the green.  I hit probably the same length 4 wood as #8 and was a few yards off the front of the green.  To me this hole was a little out of the realm as realistic for a par 3.

Brian

Brian Cenci

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 09:54:20 AM »
One and done for me.

Steve (and George),
    Why only once for u guys? The only thing that would turn me off from going again would be the price.  I would consider it no more confusing or frustrating than say Tobacco Road.  
     I don't see how they could build a more golfer friendly course in such an extreme environment.  I thought the par 5's wer fair and for every extremely hard or complex looking hole there was a simple straight forward hole to go with it a few holes further in the round.  

Adam Clayman

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 11:00:48 AM »
One and done is about right because this "place" is not a golf course. It's a collection of 18 golf holes designed to induce a testosterone bolus.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 12:30:43 PM »
Brian,

I have not played Tobacco Road but it can't be more nonsensical than Wolf Creek. Both are unique but I couldn't wait to get off the course at Wolf Creek. Different strokes for different folks. Black Mesa should be on your list of must plays.

I had no problem with enjoying Lakota Canyon.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Brad Tufts

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 01:32:09 PM »
Easier than TR?  I have not played WC....but I thought Tobacco Road was pretty easy myself.  Short, wide fairways, big greens....75.6/143 sounds tougher than TR.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Brian Cenci

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 08:56:40 PM »
One and done is about right because this "place" is not a golf course. It's a collection of 18 golf holes designed to induce a testosterone bolus.

Adam,
     Well...I liked it.  Different strokes for different fokes (as was said).  I thought it was fair...no more unfair then like Olympia Fields with deep rough or No. 2 with the domed greens.  Hit is strait and you'll be u ok, don't see what the big deal is.

-Brian

Andy Troeger

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 10:56:54 PM »
Its not as high on my priority list as Lakota Canyon and some others, but I do want to see Wolf Creek for myself some day. It seems like one of those courses that because its unique needs to be seen.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 11:27:47 PM »
ONe of my regular men's club 4some lives on the other side of the runway, about a par 5 from Wolf Creek.  He lives on the Oasis course.  Another regular went to visit him last week.  They skipped the big prestige round at WC and even skipped his own course at Oasis.  Apparently, the hacker old guys are skipping Mesquite all together these days due to rising green fees, and they are driving up to St Georges to play now.  My friend says that he offers visitors the suggestion that if they want to see it once, it is grand vista and all, but warns them they will most likely kick themselves for forking out that much to get beat up by the course.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back