News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Todd Rohrer

Re:Bandon Dunes/Bandon Trails/Pacific Dunes
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2007, 12:40:42 PM »
John:

Only Tom can tell us for sure...

This photo (kudos to my buddy Rick Schafer for the Sheep Ranch images.  What a day that was...) barely shows the awesome scale of this green, as those of you who have played it can attest.  The flagstick helps to grasp the size of the green.

And there's ocean on three sides, at least when the tide's in!  How many other greens can make that claim?

But that's probably another thread...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2007, 01:48:47 PM »
The 16th and 17th at Cypress point??

Joe Bentham

« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2007, 10:19:28 PM »
PS. the Fins(your alma mater) won the Fellowship of the Dunes 44-40 over the Feathers.  

SEALS DON"T HAVE FINS!!!!!

Todd Rohrer

« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2007, 10:24:55 PM »
Kalen:

Thanks for those.  I was thinking of 16 at Cypress, and I thought some might say 7 at Pebble, although that's probably a "cove," but Cypress 17 slipped my mind.  Maybe because I've never gotten closer than the surreptitious ceremonial cigar by moonlight on 16 tee!
I know there's a green in Mexico that you have to wade to if the tide's in...
But there must be some cool examples elsewhere?

ChipRoyce

« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2007, 10:34:09 PM »
Huck, Shorty's is open on the whim of the el presidente, i reccomend large ammounts of sucking up. ;D ;D ;D

That's funny - the day I showed up, Shorty's was open and ended up playing with the Club's Comptroller.

Mike Benham

« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2007, 12:18:57 AM »

Everyone needs to go to the Bandon Resort with "real golfers".  

Is Hendren a real golfer?

How about Simper, Kelly, Pieracci, Leary and Noser?

Heck, am I?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mike Hendren

« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2007, 09:19:36 AM »

Is Hendren a real golfer?

Mike,

Wind chill was in the teens last night but I did my miles to get the legs in shape for Bandon Dunes.  I am not a "good" golfer, but otherwise, I'm the genuine article, baby.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Ryan Crago

« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2007, 03:26:17 PM »

And then here are a few photos of the Sheep Ranch.  You may not get a day like this in the winter, but you could spend all day on this ground, and still want more...

Are those pins photoshopped? or have they gone to full size pins? (w/ very red flags, i might add)

Brian Noser

« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2007, 03:39:15 PM »
I don't know If I am a "real golfer"..... let me contemplate that for a while Huck...

PS I predict Simper is 4 over going into 10 right now, and so excited he blocks it way right on to 9..

Mike Benham

« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2007, 08:59:50 PM »
I don't know If I am a "real golfer"..... let me contemplate that for a while Huck...

PS I predict Simper is 4 over going into 10 right now, and so excited he blocks it way right on to 9..

You aren't the only one predicting that shot ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Zack Kelly

« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2007, 10:45:15 PM »
I'd have to agree do yourself a favor and play all three.  But if you just have to play one my order would be
1- Pac Dunes
2- Bandon Trails
3- Bandon Dunes
Fairways & Greens
Zack Quinn Kelly

Michael Dugger

« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2007, 02:23:20 PM »
First timers often prefer Bandon Dunes because it is something they are most familiar with.  It's two loops of nine holes, two par 3s and 5s on each side.  The course is pretty spacious, the wide fairways allow even the wildest hacker to get around without too much embarrassment.  Aside from the 2nd and 3rd holes, there are not a whole lot of long and difficult carries, something I hear a lot of complaints about RE: Pacific Dunes.  To be sure, Bandon has some epic world class holes on it, great views of the ocean from just about everywhere on the course; it is as soul stirring a round of golf as you will ever find.

Pacific Dunes simply flies over some people's heads, and that is what I love about it.  Few designers spent as much time in the "mother land" as Tom Doak.  The great links courses are full of odd routings, quirk and blind shots.  Few golf courses embrace the adventerous spirit as Pacific Dunes does.  Yup, there are back to back par 3's, 5 par 3s total, a handful of short par 4's, a crazy blind shot up over a wall of grass, a hole with two greens, wickedly deep bunkers, steep drop offs and places on some greens you absolutely do not want to be.  With a relative short overall yardage, Pacific Dunes subscribes to Robert Hunter's belief of what a good golf course is all about.

"The ideal course yields nothing to power unless it be used with wisdom. There it, too, must be disciplined and refined. Like all other courses it must possess weaknesses, but rest assured that shots taking advantage of these weaknesses must be well-struck. Let one be a little off center and all one's most powerful blows fall futile...To be down the middle may mean nothing, quite often it may be quite the wrong place. To be long may mean nothing the same, provided it is not schrewdly used...One must hit to position. To succeed at the game of golf one must open up the hole. One must consider the slope of the green. One must place him/herself in position to attack it."

Bandon Trails will never be as inspiring because it is inland.  Everyone gets all fired up over the fact that it plays through numerous eco-systems, but this leaves me feeling sort of disoriented.  BD and PD maintain a level of consistancy, BT is like pieces of three courses rolled into one.  To be sure, the "meadows" holes are utterly fantastic, my favorite on the course.  After five plays, however, it is my least preferred of the three.  I dread the uphill slog homes.  14 is a tough walk.  16 is straight up a hill.  18 is uphill once again.  

But any negative thrown in the direction of Bandon Trails needs to be considered in comparing it to the other two courses on the premises.  On its' own, Bandon Trails is phenomenal, so much better than anything else in the region it is ridiculous.  You have to travel to Portland or Bend to find anything in its' league.          
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 05:50:26 AM by Michael Dugger »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Nyk Pike

« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2007, 09:03:02 PM »
Spotted Ran here today. Without the hickories :(

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back