News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

Re:Naccarato, Shack, Klein grudge match
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2007, 12:01:02 PM »
Heading off to the course soon -- debating whether to shave or to go rough-hewn into the ring. It's freezing out here, 30 mph wind. I thought this was LA, feels more like Bismarck N.D. At least I'll have an advantage, esp. with Tommy in his thong.

Brad,

Nae wind, nae golf.  ;)

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2007, 12:08:34 PM »
I'm going to do the rough hewn look today myself....Hope it will add something to the psychological affect of getting into my opponents head...

rjsimper

« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2007, 01:45:11 PM »
From this reporter's vantage point on the 9th floor of an office building not a mile away from THE HAMMER, wind will no doubt play a primary factor in the outcome...blowing at a fresh 20 mph and gusting to 40mph.  It's a bruiser out there, folks.

ForkaB

« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2007, 02:10:42 PM »
I'm on pins and needles awaiting the result of this match.....

Brian Noser

« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2007, 03:24:46 PM »
Oh boy this is going to be good. That little course is sporty when the wind kicks up the kikuyu really hurts the ground game....

rjsimper

« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2007, 03:31:06 PM »
The wind certainly adds an element of uncertainty to the 16th - tough to thread a shot through the trees when they're moving side to side with a range/span of 15+ feet.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2007, 03:58:30 PM »
I don't know if I'm more excited to hear the results of this match or the Eagles-Giants playoff game this Sunday.

If you offered me a sideline vantage point to either, I think I'd rather be at AH.  ;)

Brian Noser

« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2007, 06:35:48 PM »
Man must be a real brute out there today... I wonder if they caught them on a mowing day or if it is like us open conditions...

Brad Klein

« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2007, 06:37:57 PM »
Big News from Holmby Park. In a wild wind storm, with tree limbs scattered everywhere over the par-3 course, Shackelford eked out a 5&4 victory over Naccarato. His play was marked by four birdies. In the stroke play division, the results were as follows:

Shackelford 27-32 = 59
Klein          35-27 = 62
Naccarato   35-36 = 71
Gatrall        49-36 = 85

Note, play took place 2X over the back nine, as the front was closed to weather-related damage.

Tommy, playing without his customary 1/2 stroke per hole, came back from 6-down on the front nine and played Shackelford +1 over the next five holes, including consecutive birdies, but to no avail. Jeff Gatrall, it must be said, played his first full 18 holes in 30+ years and acquited himself extremely well, with a 13-shot improvement on the second nine.

In typical LA fashion, it took longer to decide where to go to lunch afterwards than it took to play 9 holes.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 09:04:59 PM by Brad Klein »

Mike Benham

« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2007, 07:14:01 PM »
Which honest accounting firm (are there any left?) certified these results?

Did any late money come in from either coast that effective the point spread?  

The wild swings in the front 9 vs. back 9 scores for Shack and Klein might indicate some funny going ons with the prop bets or presses ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Geoff_Shackelford

« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2007, 08:54:28 PM »
Dr. Klein's reporting modestly neglected to highlight his second nine 27, which came during a major wind shift that wreaked havoc with yours truly's game. Most impressive play for his first time around Armand Hammer.  

Galleries were light and sadly the starter's window was not open so we didn't have the pleasure of giving our $2 as Mssrs. Vardon, Ray, Ouimet and Braid.

After being in the best condition I've ever seen the course this fall, our lack of rain this winter has caught up to the little links. Hopefully we'll get some help from above soon.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2007, 09:01:55 PM »
Years from now, when this event has become legendary, thousands will have claimed to have been there. Some small boy who has today never even heard of Brad Klein will someday swear to have caddied for him and given the Good Doctor the swing tip at the turn that caused his game to elevate.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2007, 09:09:31 PM »
I guess I'm a sucker for the underdog, and although Tommy didn't win this time, I'll rest comfortably deluding myself that he's just setting Brad and Shack up for bigger stakes the next time.  

Steve Lapper

« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2007, 10:28:58 PM »
Mike & Gib,

I'll expect that you'll pay your wagers in a timely fashion. Please address the collective $10 to our most beloved sponsor at his Southern Pines, NC address. Of course you may feel free to put it in the name of your third-place finisher: The Emperor! 8) 8)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 06:16:10 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

dsilk

« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2007, 10:29:59 PM »
tommy,
i cant believe the playoff beard didnt help... congrats to Mr Shack on winning the first major of the year.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2007, 10:58:10 PM »
Where are the historic, black and white photos?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2007, 01:40:51 AM »
Silky,
Now I know how the Russians felt! ;)

I sucked big time, up until my two birdies and I was ready to at least go from birdie-birdie and make another attempt at it on #16, aka Sycamore Alley, and I was not given a favorable ruling. My ball rested partially on asphalt and a wood plank seperating the asphalt from the turf. I was forced to putt it and the ball popped up straight in the air and rolled sideways about three feet. I then barely missed the par putt.

I think this was a perfect example of the sportsmanship that went on out there today, and now I know how C.B. MacDonald felt when he was ripped off of those original championships, pre-USGA.

The bastards.....

Congrats to Jeff Gatrall for an excellent round, and I guess congrats to Geoff for being focused enough for the win--regardless of the poor sportsmanship, the unfair ruling and the talking in the middle of the backswing on at least three holes. (He also kept on saying, "MISSSSSSSSS" everytime I was putting, just like the Smails kid)

Congrats to Dr. Klein for putting up with all of it! (He played really good on the back)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 01:42:53 AM by Tommy Naccarato »

dsilk

« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2007, 07:25:55 AM »
tommy,
 considering that a victory of such proportions this early in the year would have made the rest of the year anticlimatic..... and speaking of early climaxś. lets all wish anthony pioppi a nice day!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2007, 02:04:36 PM »
I repeat my demand for photographic evidence that this epic match even took place.  Given at least 3 of the four alleged participants are known to write somewhat romantically and sometimes whimsically of various golf legend and lore, and are keen to bring back a certain nostalgia for golf as it was meant to be...  How do we know it even took place and is not part of some world wide conspiracy to foster a yearning for golf from simpler times and not some anti-Trump, anti-ANGL syndrome?

Look at the evidence for a conspiracy theory.  Ran writes of Mr. Klein:
Based in Connecticut with his family, Brad Klein enjoys a wanderlust that has taken him all over the world. Not content with just seeing mainstream courses by 'name' architects, Brad has always sought the tucked away gems. His book, Rough Meditations, is a great source for discovering courses of which absolutely nobody has ever heard. He is the architectural editor for GolfWeek... etc, etc, blah, blah.

The dust cover of Mr Shackleford's epic tale, "The Good Dr. Returns" reveals:
Golf's elusive and brilliant character, creator of ANGL Royal Melbourne, and Cypress Point, Alister MacKenzie come back to reveal what he thinks of the stte of golf today, and to design one last course.   Along the way, he confronts modern day architects, the ANGL committee.... blah, blah, blah

And, Mr. Naccarato; what can one say about his body of writing on GCA, painting windmills of NGLA, bunker archeology, and his attempts to cryit down all things FAZ, Teddian and Damian.

I'm sorry I don't actually know this Mr.Gatrall.  But if he is now hanging around with the other three, I suspect he might be wearing an aluminum foil hat and riding a stead made of wood and has a sidekick named Pancho...

Will this match and documentary pictures be in the next issue of "Golfweek"?  Or, are we going to be asked to believe that such a perposterous meeting ever took place on an unlikely for golf, windy and treelimb strewn field of battle?  

I leave it to David Moriarity to at least come up with a torn off airline ticket manifest stub of Mr Klein showing his inbound to L.A. flight from Conneticutt on a plausible date.  

harrumph  ::) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2007, 03:52:16 PM »
Classic, Dick, classic!  8)

Brad Klein

« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2007, 08:21:43 PM »
Aforementioned Gatrall, with Klein in tow, just spent the day revisiting the scene of the alleged match, focusing this time around upon neighboring LACC. Much evidence has now been gatherd, inc. receipts, tattered but legible scorecard, even digital photos, thugh incipient until freed from the bowels of cameras under posession of Klein and Naccarato. A full airing of artefacts will await the principals' return to various posting stations. Thence, full disclosure.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2007, 10:43:34 PM »
We wait with eager anticipation...bring it on!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back