News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

Best moments on the course..
« on: December 18, 2006, 07:39:40 PM »
Tommy inspired me.

I am the worst putter on the face of this earth, I think.
I cant putt worth crap.  If my shot isn't close to the hole I am screwed.
And, low and behold, my shots usually are nowhere near the hole.
I think it's mostly because I cannot read greens.

Ask Sean Leary.
On 17 at Aldarra one time, he said 'caddy, I need a read'.
I take a look from all over the cup.
"A couple feet outside left, I think"
The response .. "your hopeless"
... as the putt breaks 4 feet from the right and misses on the left side.
As i like to say, I was on the wrong side of the hole when I said which direction the putt was going.
Somehow I doubt Sean believes that.
 ;D

Some might ask why this was a great moment, but it was pretty funny and I laugh every time I think about it.
Seans response was great.
Maybe I am hopeless
 :'(
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 07:43:31 PM by Jordan Wall »

Tony Petersen

Re:Best moments on the course..
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 08:50:10 PM »
I would have to say that having Leary & Co. politely remind me that my ass was hanging out of my shorts after Fortson & myself gave them a thorough thrashing at this year's KP was pretty memorable...  ;)

Another that comes to mind is being 5 down after 9 and jarring a wedge from 122 for an eagle and the match on 17  ;D

All I have to say is "Tony has a tight short game. Now, if he could just find a fairway off the tee"  :o

Happy Holidaze to one and all!!!
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 09:50:02 PM »
I had never been on golf trip with my Dad.  It dawned on me about five years ago that the one thing I wanted to do was go on a golf trip with my Dad.  I tell people that I have three heroes.  Two are my children and the other is my Dad.  I fly out to Michigan and my 85 year old Dad and I drive up north and play Kingsley and Crystal Downs.  Having dinner that night talking about the shots we hit etc may be my best golfing memory.  A close second was winng the Father-Son tournamentwith my son almost twenty years ago.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 09:57:59 PM »
We were playing in this event, and I was paired with this big fat guy, a 450 lb cheeseburger delux with fries and a double milk shake.

Anyway, he gets cramps on the 15th hole at Kemper Lakes in Chicago, gets out of the cart and goes behind some bushes

About 2 minutes later, he yells out '" Anyone have change for a five"
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 07:39:08 AM by cary lichtenstein »
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 11:10:09 PM »
Cary, YOU WIN!
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jordan Wall

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 11:21:33 PM »
We were playing in this event, and I was paired with this big fat guy, a 450 cheeseburger delux with fries and a double milk shake.

Anyway, he gets cramps on the 15th hole at Kemper Lakes in Chicago, gets out of the cart and goes behind some bushes

About 2 minutes later, he yells out '" Anyone have change for a five"

Excellent sir.

I have never thought of that one.
That would be a GREAT April fools joke for my buddy.
I dont think even I could do that though in real life.
I have done many crazy things on a golf course, but that is just nuts.
That is honestly one of the funniest golf stories I have ever heard.
Thanks.

And really, thank you.

That is hilarious!

Jim Thompson

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 11:23:20 PM »
With some luck, some of you may have seen my favorite moment of the summer already and me in it.  I'll never forget turning around and seeing RJ walking down the 15th fairway with his camcorder in his hand, filming his entire round.  That big smile, and cool I-talian strut, him talking to the camera, what a moment.  Surpassed only by chicken tacos and a bottle of good red wine!  It's good to have friends!

RJ, thanks for refilling the tank!

JT
Jim Thompson

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 11:57:05 PM »
Shooting a heroic 98 at Bandon Dunes to beat my buddy who was about a 5 then, and I was maybe a 7. Close to the worst conditions I've ever played in. A mild mannered engineer in our group from Taiwan exclaimed that it was the craziest thing he had ever done in his life.

From a GCA view, the couse was actually playable. The tee shot on 16 was scary, not because of the 30 mph driving rain in our faces, but because no one wanted to lose their driver into the canyon. 18 was the only hole we actually had standing water on.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

PThomas

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 10:03:46 AM »
one of my best:  taking my 9 year old Anna out for her first real round of golf and watching her - without a mulligan or anything like that! - nail a 90 yard drive right down the middle on the first tee!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Sean Leary

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 10:22:51 AM »
Jordan,

It is not going to surprise anybody on here that you are hopeless.. ;)

Jordan Wall

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 12:30:27 PM »
Jordan,

It is not going to surprise anybody on here that you are hopeless.. ;)

Sad, but probably true
 :'(

I still think if there was no grain on those greens the ball breaks right....

;D

Michael Hayes

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 12:41:06 PM »
My favorite moment on a golf course came at the Road hole at TOC.  We were over there for a buddy's wedding and scored a tee time through the lottery.  The grooms brother hit his second in the road hole bunker.  He proceeded to take 4 tries at the steep face before turning around to skank 2 more off the lower back wall.  Meanwhile a couple of asian tourists with cam corders in hand had jumped the rock wall and were filming his escapades in the trap.  We had some friends walking withus so there were about 15 peaple including the tourists and caddies witnessing this event.  He went on to sink a bomb on 18 and get a nice round of applause from the unkowing throng on 18.

MH
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Jay Flemma

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 08:11:00 PM »
For my 1000th post...
Playing with my dad for his first round after - at age 78 - he had quadruple bypass surgery.

Here's to my dad for my 100th post...he's the most virtuous and noble man I know.  If I'm half the man my dad is, I'm twice the man the world could ask me to be.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 02:25:26 AM »
Jay,

Thats pretty cool man!
I can only imagine how fun that must have been for you!

Have a happy holidays man!

Jordan

Jay Flemma

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2006, 10:20:33 AM »
The operative word - pardon the pun - was grateful...relieved is another...but thanks...

Philippe Binette

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2006, 06:20:55 PM »
Competitive moment:

Going all square on the final hole of a  interclub match as the final group
It's almost darkness.

550 yards par 5. I lay up to 95 yards on the second shot. Opponent hit a shot 40 yards from the hole.
We are looking for his ball (I'm not playing before he found his ball) and since I'm close to the green, I take time to have a look at the hole. (very hagen-ish attitude)

Hit my shot, the ball hits the hole and roll 10 feet past. (Opponent doesn't see my ball on the green and thinks I'm stone dead) Miss his next shot, chip back to 4 feet.

I concede his putt for a 5

I step up, make my putt, arms in the air and victory.

ed_getka

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2006, 09:18:58 PM »
Being at Greywalls this fall with my friend Bob. He turned 80 this summer and gets really frustrated with playing poorly, so he rarely plays. Well, over the course of three days at Crystal Downs, Kingsley Club, and Greywalls he hit the ball better every day, and it was so much fun to see Bob enjoying himself on the golf course playing well.  Bob told me Greywalls was the most fun golf course he has ever played.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2006, 11:00:10 AM »
As long as we're sharing.......this is the tale of the most up and down day I've ever had on the golf course.

At the Kings Putter in 2005 at Stevinson Ranch - walked 36 on Saturday in wet conditions.  Sunday morning woke up for the early tee time and had the mother of all blisters on the bottom of my right big toe, skin actually loose, it was grisly.  Went down to the pro shop and used some of their "tools" to cut off the loose skin, put several band-aids on the toe and went out to play.  No walking, in a cart.

Got absolutely nuked in a singles match by Paul Thomas, 7&6.  Kept playing, made a hole-in-one on #16.

The most up and down round in a long career.  At least I can't remember anything equally awful and then uplifting!  8)

Next day rode 18 at Pasatiempo, day after walked Cypress Point.  What a trip.  ;)

Oh yeah - Jordan, do they pay you to caddy after you misread a putt by 5 feet?  Just kidding!

Merry Christmas!

PThomas

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2006, 11:14:48 AM »
As long as we're sharing.......this is the tale of the most up and down day I've ever had on the golf course.

At the Kings Putter in 2005 at Stevinson Ranch - walked 36 on Saturday in wet conditions.  Sunday morning woke up for the early tee time and had the mother of all blisters on the bottom of my right big toe, skin actually loose, it was grisly.  Went down to the pro shop and used some of their "tools" to cut off the loose skin, put several band-aids on the toe and went out to play.  No walking, in a cart.

Got absolutely nuked in a singles match by Paul Thomas, 7&6.  Kept playing, made a hole-in-one on #16.

The most up and down round in a long career.  At least I can't remember anything equally awful and then uplifting!  8)

Next day rode 18 at Pasatiempo, day after walked Cypress Point.  What a trip.  ;)

Oh yeah - Jordan, do they pay you to caddy after you misread a putt by 5 feet?  Just kidding!

Merry Christmas!

Ace - I played above my head and you below yours......and seeing your ace - the first I've ever seen, and I think it was your first - was awesome!

and the beer afterwards was darn good, thanks! ;)
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jordan Wall

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2006, 02:36:16 PM »

Merry Christmas!

Bill,

You probably met Sean at the same KP event you made your ace in.
He is a very nice guy thankfully for me...

Brendan Dolan

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2006, 06:37:49 PM »
My favorite moments on a course were during a trip to Ireland during the spring of 2004.  My father, brother and I had the courses all to ourselves.  It allowed us to play a lot of different shots to some of golfs greatest holes, and allowed me a chance to study the architecture really well.
Happy Holidays,
Brendan

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back