News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re:What Goes On In An IM Stays In An IM....
« Reply #100 on: December 22, 2006, 06:11:15 PM »
There is one man who ought to do the self-nomination, and it's not you, Sully.  If I know him at all - and I think I do a little - I have zero doubt if and when he reads this, he will be the first to do so.

I didn't get deleted accidentally.  And the man says right on this thread he did so.  He also did tell me at the time, after letting me stew for a little while.

For the most part it was all in good fun.  Kind of a pain for Ran the first time, and Tommy the second, to reinstate me, but yes boys will be boys.

TH

TEPaul

« Reply #101 on: December 22, 2006, 06:39:12 PM »
This place never ceases to amaze me.

What's it now, Friday afternoon? On Wednesday evening a guy takes IM information he obviously knows should stay there and puts it on the DG here? Why would he do that? You have one guess.

I ask him on the IM, and nicely to please take the post off the DG and he refuses. So what I told him in the last IM was "Suit yourself" (literally that was it).

I call up the self appointed "mediator" on here, explain the situation of the information on that post and why I sort of need it to be taken off the DG, and I ask him to do that and he does as we were speaking. I appreciate it and that's that, or so I thought.

Next day Tom MacWood apparently goes ballistic that a post  he obviously knew perfectly well never should've been on the DG was removed (the post was about one sentence long  :P ), and he promptly demands that his registration on this site be cancelled or whatever. Certainly noone asked him to do that or even thought of such a thing.

Immediately following that this thread entitled "What Goes on in an IM stays in an IM" shows up on here.

OK, well I asked myself what is this about? Well about an hour later our West Coast litigator decides he needs to investigate the whole thing between MacWood and I which I was only trying to keep private.

He creates about a five point list on a post on here and on the Merion thread on all that he thinks this might be about including a description of how and why this must all be my fault.  ;)

I ask Moriarty by IM if he'd please remove that post. He doesn't even respond on the IM just on the DG about how and why he can't do that. I ask our self appointed mediator again if he'd mind removing Moriarty's post because it's airing even more loudly the very thing I wanted to keep private in the first place.

Our self appointed mediator tells me he's so upset with me he wants to put his fist through a door and he'll never remove another post I ask him to again. Then about halfway into this thread he blames me for----well I'm really not too sure what for.  ;)  All I wanted to do is keep something that doesn't involve this website or DG private by not involving more than three people at most.   ;)

Now we have a thread about a 100 posts long that's turned into a collective catharsis over a scandal or moral dilemma or whatever.

I was just trying to keep something private that had nothing to do with this DG, nothing whatsoever to do with David Moriarty or the rest of you. I wish Tom MacW would've just deleted the post from the DG himself in the first place when I asked him to do that nicely and then we could've talked or argued or kissed or whatever we wanted to do on the IM and kept it all private, instead of having it aired all over the world on the Internet by self appointed mediators and laid off litigators or whatnot.  ;)

This place is just amazing, but guys, if all this created a collective cathartic experience for ya'll, who the hell am I to say I'm not just so happy to have obliged?   ???  ;)

RJ:

That was a real nice post you made on here--kinda beautiful really, and it also nixxed, in my mind, my request to delete this thread and made the thread a "keeper". You ain't just whistlin' Dixie some of us take ourselves and all this stuff too seriously.   :'(
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 07:26:13 PM by TEPaul »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2006, 07:15:18 PM »
[size=4x]

A final word ..... or three
[/size]

I've sent and received thousands of IM's.

I was never informed that they could be accessed by others.

Had I known that, and I should have been informed of that, I never would have communicated thru IM"s,
I would have sent emails.

Communications between individuals should be private, priveleged and not accessible by anyone other than the addressee/s.

With respect to the intrasite feud, let me say the following.

There's a great line from a Broadway Show that I saw 30 or so years ago.

"You shouldn't have looked where I shouldn't have been."

And like the line from "A little Night Music" both parties on GCA.com have erred, both are wrong, and I'm sure that both are aware of that.

Sometimes passionate debate fuels imprudent actions.
It happens.

But, it's done.
Let's put it behind us and get back to discussing, debating and arguing about the subjects we're keenly interested in.

Tom MacWood and TEPaul are valuable contributors who enhance this site.  Their participation is appreciated and their continued participation would be welcomed by all.

So, let them, and everyone else, cease having a HISSEY fit.

The only person on this site who's entitled to that is ....... Mark Hissey.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 07:16:59 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Robert Thompson

« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2006, 08:13:47 PM »
[size=4x]

A final word ..... or three
[/size]

I've sent and received thousands of IM's.

I was never informed that they could be accessed by others.

Had I known that, and I should have been informed of that, I never would have communicated thru IM"s,
I would have sent emails.

Communications between individuals should be private, priveleged and not accessible by anyone other than the addressee/s.

Anyone who thinks that anything on the Internet is private, without having some sort of heavy encryption, is being naive.

Of course someone has access to the instant messages on this site, just as someone has access to every one of your emails through your service provider. The difference is that you'll have a privacy agreement with your ISP -- unless the FBI comes calling -- while you have no such rights or agreement with Ran Morrissett.

So anyone who thought these messages were all private were simply deluding themselves. However, just as your workplace can monitor all of your outgoing and incoming email, the likelihood of them doing so isn't very high. I suspect that is also the case here.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2006, 09:49:14 PM »
To All GCA Participants,

I made a mistake by deleting a post by request and it backfired. It then put me in the middle of it. From now on I will not be deleting posts on request.

Merry Happy Holidays

Bill_McBride

« Reply #105 on: December 22, 2006, 10:00:01 PM »
To All GCA Participants,

I made a mistake by deleting a post by request and it backfired. It then put me in the middle of it. From now on I will not be deleting posts on request.

A poster can delete his own post, right?

That makes it logical for only that poster - or the management - to delete his/her post.

If the management wants to delete a post, that's fair too.

But asking to delete somebody else's post, that's not fair.

Hard to disagree.

JR Potts

« Reply #106 on: December 22, 2006, 10:27:59 PM »
Don't you think that many of you are taking yourselves too seriously?????
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 10:28:28 PM by Ryan Potts »

TEPaul

« Reply #107 on: December 23, 2006, 12:15:04 AM »
"Don't you think that many of you are taking yourselves too seriously?????"

Yes I do, Ryan. You're absolutely right. A lot of us need to get a life again.

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #108 on: December 23, 2006, 09:46:53 AM »
The most humorous thing about this thread to me is the thought that Tom MacWood, or any of the avid posters here, would be able to stay away from the site for any length of time. This place is like crack cocaine to a lot of people, so let's be realistic about that part of it... ;)

Cheers,
Darren

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #109 on: December 23, 2006, 10:11:58 AM »
Darren that would explain the crack addict behaviour.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back