News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

Fescue as a warm/warmer season grass
« on: December 21, 2006, 09:34:48 AM »
Something discussed on another thread made me think about my own experience with fescue. Fescue is seen as a grass that is only to be used in cool season climates and I have never seen or read about it been used in a warmer climate. I was invovled in the construction and first three years of a golf course that had a mediterranean climate (June to Sept 40°C +).
Although the sward did go brown and looked very similar to Hoylake from mid July through to the beginning of September, it played great (extra firm and fast) and stood up to the traffic very well. The heat meant that the sward remeined almost pure fescue.

Has anyone else had experience of fescue in such a climate when using a fescue friendly maintenance program?  

Craig Sweet

Re:Fescue as a warm/warmer season grass
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 10:42:39 AM »
Fescue seems to have a broad range....
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 10:58:57 AM »
Something discussed on another thread made me think about my own experience with fescue. Fescue is seen as a grass that is only to be used in cool season climates and I have never seen or read about it been used in a warmer climate. I was invovled in the construction and first three years of a golf course that had a mediterranean climate (June to Sept 40°C +).
Although the sward did go brown and looked very similar to Hoylake from mid July through to the beginning of September, it played great (extra firm and fast) and stood up to the traffic very well. The heat meant that the sward remeined almost pure fescue.

Has anyone else had experience of fescue in such a climate when using a fescue friendly maintenance program?  

Jon, I have a project in Bulgaria which I am very unsure on grass selection, 40C would be their maximum too whilst the lows could go -20C, for the main part the climate is very 'English'. Maybe Fescue could play a part.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 11:47:01 AM »
Adrian,

fescue might be the right choice for you. Please feel free to contact me if you wish to discuss it futher, will be happy to help

jonwiggett@bluewin.ch

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 12:34:42 PM »
I would love to know more about the climate ranges in the US for fescue.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back