News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Rig and Furrow Golf Courses
« on: November 30, 2006, 02:46:43 PM »
We've spoken of these before, but I happened to park the car beside Tulliallan GC yesterday. The tall trees and low summer (edit: ;D) sun conspired to illustrate wonderfully the old landforms left by the 'Archie'(?) on the 3rd fairway during construction. They are roughly diagonal to the line of play at this point at about 200 yds off the tee playing l to r up the hill.

Do we like these landforms?
Do they add anything to the playing of the game?
Do they detract?
Are they attractive?
Does the historic element interest us?

Would YOU remove or leave them?

FBD.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 02:49:30 PM by Martin Bonnar »
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

cary lichtenstein

Re:Rig and Furrow Golf Courses
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 02:48:38 PM »
I would think the balls collect at the bottom of these and there are lots of divots depending on the amount of play
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Joe Hancock

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 04:09:44 PM »
I would think the balls collect at the bottom of these and there are lots of divots depending on the amount of play

If there is truth to that, then my vote would be that the grass is cut too short...which has nothing to do with firmness, I might add.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

ed_getka

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 04:13:20 PM »
I'm sure they would give you interesting stances and shot demands, but the symmetry of the humps make me think of planting crops, not golf. I think if they didn't go all the way across I could live with them.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 04:21:09 PM »
Our course has old farming furrows showing through the turf, and I hated it when I first got here. Now I realize on a very flat site that such little undulations can cause unusual lies and stances. Plus, i see the symetry of it as a testimony of the hertiage and previous use of the land.....sorry, I suddenly feel all weepy with nostalgia.... :'(

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

ed_getka

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 06:14:28 PM »
Grandpa Joe, the softy. :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 06:54:10 PM »
I have no rpoblem with it but wouldn.t wabt a steady diet of it.

I prefer the randomness of naturally undulating land, or a reasonable facimile if the natural kind are not present.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 11:42:36 PM »
Martin
Have you played Forfar ? .

I was there quite a bit this year , and tried several times to get some photos of their rig and furrow fairways , but it was never late enough in the day .

To be honest I always thought Forfars were unique . Are there anymore? .

Most of Forfars run across the fairways , and become annoying to walk over .

These were originally for drying jute ? .

Best Regards
Brian

« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 11:43:25 PM by Brian_Ewen »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back