News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

QUESTION:Did the Open help Carnoustie's reputation?
« on: July 19, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Despite several moronic hole locations, I think we can all agree that the US Open exposed Pinehurst No.2 once and for all as being a superb design of uncommon complexity.Did the Open do the same to enhance Carnoustie's image? Generally, Carnoustie is regarded as "the UK's toughest links," not that that is a reflection of the merit of the design of the course. Certainly, everyone thinks of Carnoustie as a tough course but beyond that, did the design of Carnoustie appeal more after you watched the Open or less?

John Morrissett

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
After my one round there a number of years ago, I was quite an admirer of Carnoustie.  However, I found it difficult to explain this fondness when others (such as my father-in-law) so quickly dismissed it as being ugly, flat and basically devoid of character (as if ugly and flat aren't character on their own!).  This was a concern as you shouldn't have any trouble defending a course you truly like.So . . . there was already some doubt in my mind before watching the Open this weekend.  Fairway widths aside, though, I thought the course came across well.  The first three holes are over more interesting ground than I remembered, the bunkering is a work of art (although a number of them were not as deep as I remembered) and I now know how to play the 17th!  I suppose the aerial shots of the closing hole (from a crane, I suppose) probably did lull me into thinking that the sea is closer to the course than it actually is.  Holes 5 and 13 went up in my eyes while 7 and 11 still don't seem like much.  It was interesting to read that they took out most of the trees between 3 and 5.Moreover, I am convinced that television does a great disservice to most links courses.  I'm not sure if it is due to the "flattening" effect of television, the lack of trees to provide depth perception or perhaps the great crowds and huge grandstands, but most of the Open courses do not come across that well on television.  For example, if I had not played Birkdale before and all I knew of it was from last year's telecast, I would have no great desire to make the effort to play there.  However, that would be a mistake as it among the finest 25 courses in the Brtish Isles.  Last year's event had me scratching my head as Birkdale occupies one of the more dramatic pieces of land of any Open venue, so it should have been more impressive on TV.

Tony Dowling

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
I haven't played it but if the R&A feels the need to trick up the set-up, isn't that an admission that the fundamental layout has some distinct weaknesses? Based on that logic, I say Carnoustie suffered a blow to the solar plexis as being considered the heavy weight champion of tough links courses.

Bill M.

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Sorry, but this reply is not in reference to the Carnoustie question. Rather, it's in reference to Ran's Pinehurst comment  -  "a superb design of uncommon complexity". This from someone who has ranked #2 outside of the world top 20?! Or are you finally jumping (justifiably so) on the bandwagon? It's top 10. Wake up!

Evan_Green

Re:QUESTION:Did the Open help Carnoustie's reputation?
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 11:06:46 PM »
Guys I thought I would bring this thread back to the top. Given that Carnoustie is poised to hold the next Open Championship, I'm interested to hear what folks think about this topic on the '99 Open 7 years on...

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 04:20:53 AM »
Eva,
The R&A certainly made a huge mistake giving so much power to the superintendent of Carnoustie, who--with the help oif an extrordinarily wet spring--destroyed one of the great championship venues for the Sport during that particular week.

It is to my understanding that this will not happen again--I hope!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 06:53:14 AM »
The last Open actually helped Carnoustie's image, in my opinion -- if you disagree, you probably don't remember how much that image had slipped over the previous 20 years.  The Open itself was a joke, but simply having been awarded the Open put the course back on the radar.

The next Open will hopefully restore the status of the course and not the set-up.  It's one of the most demanding courses in the world on an everyday basis, as long as there is a bit of wind about.  I don't think that makes it anywhere near one of the top ten, but it has to be respected.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 06:56:59 AM »
I'm not sure that Carnoustie's "reputation" was helped.  I'm positive that Carnoustie's name recognition was helped, in much the same way that everybody knows the name of famous criminals.  Hopefully, the next attempt by the R&A will correct the problem.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tom Roewer

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 07:59:40 AM »
I agree with Tom Doak in that just being put back in the rota was great for Carnoustie.  I personally have enjoyed playing Carnoustie in all types of conditions.  The course to me is like that girl in school who wasn't necessarily the cutest, wasn't the most popular, but had an elusive and seductive quality that always drew me to her.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 09:03:25 AM »
Yes, I think the Open helped, the next One really will.  
Carnoustie is the most difficult well designed course that I have played in the UK.  It may be possible to have more difficult courses but certainly not as fair as Carnoustie. My first game was after the last Open, the fairways were back to "normal" and it was superb. earlier I said it was the toughest course that I have ever played (total of all 18 holes) and it still is.  Can't wait to have Carnoustie beat me again.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 12:02:12 PM »

« Reply #10 on: Today at 12:00:27pm »      

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What surprised me was that someone, I hope it wasn't a member of the R&A, put forth the Superintendents name for a gong. Her Majesty duly obliged and I think he was awarded an MBE.

I know that many of us think that the top performers are spoiled rotten, but his quotes after the event were the most arrogant and envious I have ever heard in 'dissing' the professional golfer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back