News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Moore

This course looks spectacular from the air and also very remote.

Was it really designed by Charles Banks? If not, by whom? If so, what remains?

What's the story?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 01:32:22 PM by Michael Moore »
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Jim_Kennedy

Re:Wyantenuck - Great Barrington MA - Anyone? Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 01:13:23 PM »
Michael,
WCC was designed by H.R. Pryde, Banks did some work there in the 30s, around the same time frame that he came back and did some work at Hotchkiss. I think his work was remodeling holes # 12, 17, and 18.
New greens on their 4th and 15th holes were built in the near past and this work was mainly done in-house by their very competent, and former poster here, Peter Bacon.

The club lies in the SW corner of Mass., about 1 hour from Albany, NY, or Hartford, CT., and 2 1/2 from either Boston or NYC.

Nice old barn-style clubhouse, great staff, wonderful views and a very well maintained course.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 01:13:53 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 01:18:14 PM »
This is one of my all-time favorite courses. On a summer afternoon, the place is practically deserted. The holes across the road—starting with 11—are spectacular, with crisp, clear streams cutting a path across several fairways.

Anyone know if the redesign of the blind par 3 second is finished? I'm curious to know how it turned out.

Michael Moore

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 01:19:22 PM »
Further research has this course deisgned by Robert Pryde, who according to the New Haven CC site, was making a cabinet for Mr. Hotchkiss when he was discovered.

How did the "immigrant cabinetmaker" become a golf course architect? This sounds like a good story . . .
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

SPDB

Re:Wyantenuck by Robert Pryde - Anyone? Anyone?
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 01:28:37 PM »
So its a hodgepodge of work by an English Teacher and a Cabinetmaker?

scott_wood

Re:Wyantenuck (Great Barrington, MA) by Robert Pryde - Anyone? Anyone?
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 04:02:49 PM »
a few observations...(whilst working..not golfing :'()...the best aspect of Wyantenuck is the membership, including Supt Peter Bacon and Pro Tom Sullivan....almost universally they are "good guys" AND foremost, they are GOLFERS ( in the true GCA sense of the word)...

Wyantenuck is hosting the '08 Mass Am, and, though short by modern standards, should prove to be a stern test for those  unfamiliar with it's "quirks"......the proposed redo of the blind 220 yard par 3 second is nearing the decision point...if done, it will allow a lenghenig of #6, and possibly #1 ( a real tough starter @ 350 yards!)...

Wyantenuck is a true pleasure to play... plan a trip for it, then Taconic ( after Hanse' coming work) and you can't go wrong....btw, Wyantenuck is very close to being a "benevolent dictatorship", if your definition allows extension to a few key individuals.....a very successful one..

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 12:27:44 PM »
Scott,
Along with the proposed changes you mentioned, the club has decided to give Tom Sullivan a new Pro shop. They'll be tearing down the old one on the 16th(this month), regrading the existing site and building anew.

Last I heard, the 2nd green comes back up the hill and to the right and #1 goes behind and to the left of the existing green, which allows for the lengthening of #6, as you said.

Mike/SPDB,
I would bet that cabinet making was his 'winter' career. He is the same man who built a course here at Hotchkiss in 1911, described as "...a fine Brassie course, good sized, of fine diversity". His name is given as H.R. Pryde and the Hotchkiss Record from the period states that: " (he) is the efficient superintendent of the Yale Club and also of the New Haven Country Club, and the most capable man in the state".

Michael Moore

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 01:52:10 PM »
Here is the word on Robert Pryde from that dominant web site that Yale has put together.

http://research.yale.edu/wwkelly/Yale-golf/history/pryde_profile.htm

Thanks again to Sweeney for promoting this archive.

Steve Curry

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 02:23:30 PM »
Michael,

From the air?  Helicopter, small plane, 30,000 ft????  Wyantenuck is awesome and the Peter Bacon, Tom Sullivan duo stands easily as the best super/pro team going golf wise.  They are also two fine gentlemen.  I have a number of friends that are members and they all love the place.  The membership has a lot of fun!  I don't think Peter has started the 2nd hole project yet, but am not sure.

Cheers,
Steve

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 03:50:44 PM »
Steve,
They haven't started yet.

Welcome back! How was your trip?

Steve Curry

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 06:19:32 AM »
Jim,

Trip was awesome, thanks.  I had the pleasure of walking with Verplank and Harrington on Sunday and was right there for Verplank's hole in one.  What a great time Sunday night.  Don't shoot me but that night I was a European, what a great time.

I played with Peter on Tuesday at Hop Meadow in Simsbury.  And he said they had demolished the proshop making way for the new one and he didn't say when they were going to start the 2nd hole project.

Cheers,
Steve

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back