News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Can't decide where to join part 2
« on: September 25, 2006, 07:20:25 PM »
I posted on the last thread on who the architects where in regards to this subject and just want to reiterate that I don't want to offend any architects who are on this site by mentioning names. I hope I'm not breaking any kind of unspoken rule in regards to critizing architects work. Course A is a RTJ sr. course called Pauma Valley (I gave Bob Huntley a report) and course B is by Ted Robinson called Vista Valley. (Pete Lavaelle, you may be famaliar w/ either one). Tom Doak, I know it seems obvious the choice, but around here where I live, Robinson's designs are disdained in general (Pete can attest to this) and I thought maybe I wasn't seeing something on this course that others had. I just never hear the course mentioned at all in casual conversation and maybe it's because they figure that because it's by Robinson it must not be good. I love course architecture, but I'm a green horn when it comes to the nuts and bolts of the subject and wasn't sure if I wasn't experienced enough to know the diiference between good and bad, so when I know I don't like most of his other courses, how can I like this one so much? (architecture is crazy sometimes I guess). Pauma Valley is a good course. Very challenging because of it's length and afternoon winds. I just liked the different "looks" Vista Valley provided throughout the round.

As a side note, all kidding aside, how does everyone feel about Jones and Robinson's work? You're not going to hurt my feelings either way. :'(
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jeff_Stettner

Re:Can't decide where to join part 2
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 07:42:12 PM »
David,
I tend not to like Robinson's work. I really enjoyed Vista Valley. I often enjoy RTJ tracks. I did not care for Pauma Valley.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 08:58:05 PM »
David:

I have not sought out very many of Ted Robinson's courses, so I have no comment to offer there.  However, if the course is relatively new, you should think about what it will look like when the development is built out -- that could be the reason for some of the greater ambience compared with Pauma Valley.

Generally, though, I think the best advice you got on the other thread was to join the course that's closer to home (presuming you intend to remain living where you are).  I live 45 minutes from Crystal Downs and that is a major impediment to my playing golf more often.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 08:59:08 PM by Tom_Doak »

Jordan Wall

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 09:38:22 PM »
David,

The one Ted Robinson course I have played was a little bit repetitive, a bit contrived, but pretty fun.

On a Doak scale maybe a 5 or 6, and supposedly it was his best course.

I cannot say I am not a Ted Robinson fan, but he is not exactly an architect whose courses I would try to spend time studying for GCA.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 10:31:03 PM »
I have played both courses quite a bit over the years.  Vista Valley might be one of Robinson's best due to the topography and lack of construction budget--he was unable to move his usual amount of dirt.  However, you will find Vista Valley lacking a some point--there really is not much strategy in the course.  Pauma is a RTJ Sr. with a lot more going on than you see on 1st play.  John Wayne and friends were the developers--it was his ranch--RTJ built quite a few neighboring generic courses while devoting a decent amount of attention to Pauma.  The greens are awesome.  the problem is that a couple of holes had Ted Robinson redo the drainage and it significantly altered 1,6,8,9, and 17.  Supposedly, they are working on fixing the 17th fairway.    By the way, you might want to join the men's club at Sn Luis Rey Downs.  It is a very good course with a great group of people.There's a great skins game on Friday mornings at 7:30.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back