News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Cenci

Re:Michigan's Top Public Courses
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2006, 03:08:06 PM »
Gents:

Can people provide any detailed info on Eagle Eye ?

Location ?

Architect ?

Year opened ?

Course specifics ?

For a layout to be thought of that highly makes me very interested in possibly visiting it the next time I'm in MI.

Many thanks ...

Matt,
     It's definetly worth playing.  If you do, fellow GCA'r Dave Neveux and I will accompany if you ever make the trip.  The course opened in 2003 I believe.  It was designed by Chris Lutzke (prodigy of Pete Dye), who I think is now with Paul Albanese.  It is located 3 or 4 miles north of East Lansing, Michigan.  Cost is $65 to play after 3:00 or $85 anytime.  It measures over 7300 from the tips and when the wind is blowing can be a brute.  #13 and #16 might be some of the two toughest par 4's in Michigan from the tips.  Both play into the prevailing wind and measure over 450 yards (without wind).

-Brian

Jeff Peterson

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2006, 04:08:24 PM »
Brian,

Thanks for posting your list.  If I had a list, it would overlap quite a bit with yours (although I unfortunately haven't played Greywalls, Angel's Crossing, Lakewood Shores, Eagle Eye, or Forest Dunes.  I know, I need to get out more).

For what it's worth, a few courses that would certainly be in my 25 that were missing from your list are the Smith course at Treetops, Elk Ridge, Hidden River, and Lyon Oaks.

erichunter

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2006, 11:29:50 PM »
Has anyone played Little Traverse Bay?  I remember seeing it in a Michigan golf magazine and it looked really cool.  I just Googled and found their website which doesn't have a ton of pictures.

Re: Bay Harbor, it has been a long time since I have played but I do remember feeling let down for some reason.  But from what I recall they didn't have all the land right on the lake...no?  I played the 9 on the lake and the 9 in the woods.  Is the quarry 9 near the lake?

Brian Cenci

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2006, 12:10:31 PM »
Brian,

Thanks for posting your list.  If I had a list, it would overlap quite a bit with yours (although I unfortunately haven't played Greywalls, Angel's Crossing, Lakewood Shores, Eagle Eye, or Forest Dunes.  I know, I need to get out more).

For what it's worth, a few courses that would certainly be in my 25 that were missing from your list are the Smith course at Treetops, Elk Ridge, Hidden River, and Lyon Oaks.

Jeff,
     I have not played any of the Treetops courses, they are on my new "list", along with Hidden River, Timberstone, Otsego Club and Elk Ridge (which I have heard good things about as well).

-Brian

David Wigler

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2006, 01:48:24 PM »
Has anyone played Little Traverse Bay?  I remember seeing it in a Michigan golf magazine and it looked really cool.  I just Googled and found their website which doesn't have a ton of pictures.

Re: Bay Harbor, it has been a long time since I have played but I do remember feeling let down for some reason.  But from what I recall they didn't have all the land right on the lake...no?  I played the 9 on the lake and the 9 in the woods.  Is the quarry 9 near the lake?

Erich,

They have three nines, Links - Quarry - Preserve.  The Links is the one on the bluffs overlooking Lake Michigan.  It is an incredible vista for a golf course (With an OK course built on it).  The quarry is as unique a setting for nine holes as you can find.  Once more the course lets down the land but I find it the most interesting of the three nines and the most different from standard golf fair.  The preserve is puke through the trees and since you get no discount for being forced to play that nine, I have very little good to say about it.
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back