News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ForkaB

Information on Archie Simpson, GCA?
« on: August 27, 2006, 11:22:38 AM »
Archie might be the least known of the great architects of golf.  Member of the famous Simpson family who ran the golf shoip at Carnoustie, Archie was a superb golfer (runnerup in the Open twice in the late 19th century) and clubmaker, who served as professional and/or assistant in the UK at:

Prestwick
Carnoustie
Royal Isle of Wight (NLE)
Royal Aberdeen

His design credits (partial and full (at the time)) in the North of Scotland include, at the very least:

Royal Aberdeen
Murcar
Cruden Bay
Nairn
Dornoch
Golspie

Not a bad list for one's resume......

In 1911, Archie moved to the USA, taking over the professional's job at CC of Detroit.  After that, he held similar positions Vincennes CC (IN), Clovernook (OH).  He died in Detroit in 1955.

Does anybody know anything about Archie's career in the States?  With such a pedigree, I can't believe he didn't do some design work there.

Thanks for any help

Rich

« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 11:34:37 AM by Rich Goodale »

T_MacWood

Re:Information on Archie Simpson, GCA
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 11:38:01 AM »
Rich
I agree that is an impressive list. I think he may have done a few more too. Are they all links courses or did he design some inland courses as well?  Perhaps his lack of design activity in the States might be explained by the fact he was a dedicated links designer. He may have been a minimalist and not even known it.

What did he do at Dornoch?

ForkaB

Re:Information on Archie Simpson, GCA?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 11:49:17 AM »
Tom

All I know about Simpson's involvement at Dornoch is from John McLeod's book.  According to Dr. John, he was "involved with the development of the links" around the time that Old Tom Morris was there, and set the course record of 73 in 1889.

I'm particularly intrigued about his time in the US.  He spent most of the last 44 years of his life there, coming back to Carnoustie only briefly in 1921-22 (where he shot 72 in his mid-50s).

He must have done something architecturally in the US, given his positions, his capabilities and his stature in the game.  I'm wondering what that might have been.

Rich

Tom

Just to add, as you may know, Tom Morris' older brother, George, was the first custodian of the links at Carnoustie, and so probably knew Archie well.  George also went on to Hoylake, where he was the co-designer of the backbone of the course we saw played in the Open last month.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 11:51:44 AM by Rich Goodale »

T_MacWood

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 12:19:07 PM »
Do you know what years he was at those clubs in the US?

CC of Detroit was designed by Colt; they eventially moved to a new site in the 20s designed by Alison. I'm not sure who designed Vincennes. Clovernook is a Langford course.

I've seen his name mentioned in the old American golf magazines...but not in relation to any design work.

ForkaB

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 12:45:17 PM »
Tom

According to the source I have, Archie was at CC Detriot from 1911-1921.  He then came back to Carnoustie for a year (1922).  Vent to Vincennes (IN) in 1922.  Moved to Clovernook (where it seems his son became pro) in 1926 (he apparently became the pro at one of the Tam O'Shanter clubs then).  His son died in 1932, and Archie took over the job at Clovernook.  Established an annual "Carnoustie Day"  there which is apparently still an important event.  Died in Detroit in 1955.  That's all I know.

Cheers

Rich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back