News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Tilley

Royal St Davids and Nefyn (pics)
« on: August 22, 2006, 02:09:30 PM »
I went on a short trip to Wales last week. While I didnt get to play I did go to Nefyn, on the Lleyn peninsula in the extreme North West of Wales, and Harlech - home of Royal St. Davids, considered the premier course in Wales along with Royal Porthcawl.

First Royal St Davids. I took pictures of the course from the 13th century castle which dominates the town.

Plus some photos of the course on the path to the wonderful beach at Harlech.

The 12th with the castle in the background - when the castle was built the sea came all the way to the bottom of the hill.

The short 4th

From the side

The short 11th, with 10th green in background

The unused dunes - it is a great shame that the course rarely enters the wonderful duneland (15,16,17) which could fit in several great courses.

Nefyn to follow

Ed Tilley

Re:Royal St Davids and Nefyn (pics)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 02:29:44 PM »
Unlike Royal St Davids, I had never played Nefyn but was intrigued. There are 3 loops of nine holes, the most spectacular by far sitting on an incredibly narrow peninsula that juts out to the Irish Sea. It really is a beautiful spot in an incredibly beautiful country. I was particularly taken with the pub on the beach just below the 14th green!

I only saw a few holes but i have to say that the 13th was just about the most spectacular hole I'd ever seen - I can't believe I haven't heard more about it:

13th drive - Turnberry eat your heart out

13th approach - could there be a more natural green site?

13th green from the side

14th hole

view to th eleft of the tee - there's worse places to be!

Looking back up the 14th

The 15th tee - where do you hit it?

The 16th hole with one of the other nines in the background

This is how narrow the peninsula is

Welcome to sunny Wales!

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 03:40:29 PM »
Wow.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 05:03:32 PM »
Ed,

Please don't share these with Terry Lavin, as he's not much for courses where the grass is "dead".  ;)

Terry,

Sorry man...couldn't resist!   :-[ ;D

p.s....I have really enjoyed your comments on Medinah and the rest of Chi-golf over the past few weeks.   We don't always agree but your certainly presented your case well.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 05:05:39 PM by Mike Cirba »

Jim_Bick

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 06:03:18 PM »
The view from the castle is great but the view of the castle from the course is even greater. You could really understand how it was intended to intimidate the Welsh into submission to the Norman English.

With affection for St. David's, it doesn't really merit mention in the same sentence with Porthcawl, in my opinion.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 06:22:01 PM »
Ok that's it, who else here is for a court injunction to get GCA.com suspended? Enough with all the photo's.
I've already got every holiday planned until I'm 108 and now I've got to find time to get to North bleedin' Wales as well.
  Ed you are pain in the axxx. >:(
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 06:22:43 PM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 03:50:12 AM »
Ok that's it, who else here is for a court injunction to get GCA.com suspended? Enough with all the photo's.
I've already got every holiday planned until I'm 108 and now I've got to find time to get to North bleedin' Wales as well.
  Ed you are pain in the axxx. >:(

Tony,
Same here. I don't think I'll ever get to retire either because I'll have to keep working to fund all these golf trips I keep planning due to ideas I get from this site!!
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Philip Gawith

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 04:01:50 AM »
Nice pictures Ed - my Wales golf so far limited, shamefully, to Pennard, but North Wales beckons too! Maybe Mark will take us all to Conwy (answer to one of the 50 questions?) ;)

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 04:44:14 AM »
I'm with Sean on Harlech, in that I think it is better than some give it credit for.  True, it doesn't explore the dunes as one might like, (nor does near neighbour Aberdovey) but what do you expect when you remember that it was laid out by an Australian boomerang thrower and a man who didn't play golf.  Nefyn isn't a great course but the site is spectacular and it certainly rates on the scenic points scale.  Play it while you can.  Those cliffs keep eroding.  That's why they built the spare holes.

Would any of you GCAers like an outing at Conwy next year?  On the same trip you should play North Wales and Bull Bay.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 06:07:04 AM »
Yes please Mark!

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 06:48:37 AM »
I should have added that I posted a lot of pictures of Bull Bay on Frank Pont's excellent website: http://www.golfarchitecturepictures.com/

Here's a commentary to go with the pictures:

Bull Bay, Amlwch, Isle of Anglesey, North Wales

Card of Course:
1.   370 yards par    4
2.   392      4
3.   220      3
4.   383      4
5.   175      3
6.   310       4
7.   426      4
8.   475      5
9.   347      4

Out        3098      35

10.  195      3
11.  505      5
12.  197      3
13.  317      4
14.  425      4
15.  486      5
16.  174      3
17.  433      4
18.  446      4

In   3178      35

Total   6276      70

Bull Bay is the most northerly club in Wales and, although it overlooks the Irish Sea, it is not a links course as such, standing as it does on a series of rocky outcrops with thin, poor soil giving good crisp lies.  There is a great deal of movement in the land and WH Fowler had little or no need to move earth when laying out the course in 1913.  The rocky outcrops provided Fowler with any number of marvellous sites for greens and tees, resulting in a course on which a great many approach shots are played uphill.  Fowler’s routing ingeniously uses these high points and the course turns and twists through all points of the compass, but there are several dangerous moments when holes cross each other.  Although there are a few bunkers (which have the appearance of modern additions) there is little need of them with plentiful gorse, further expanses of rock and some awful patches of rough awaiting the less than perfect shot.  With so many greens laid on top of rock they are very firm and notably tricky to hit and hold.  

The opening drive is made uphill, [1st a] across a line of diagonal ridges to leave the first uphill approach of the round to an elevated green guarded in front and to either hand by gorse and rocks [1st b].  Continuing the climb, the tee shot at the 2nd is played blind over a sky-line ridge [2nd a] to a fairway split by a dinosaur-like ridge [2nd b] running lengthwise through it.  The green lies on the far side of a little track, just raised sufficiently to affect the pitch [2nd c].  At this point the routing turns back on itself for a stout par 3 played across low ground and a sea of gorse to a hilltop green, the highest point on the course. [3rd a/b]

Also on high ground, the 4th tee looks out onto a fairway, some distance below, curving insistently to the left.  The green is angled to the left and raised up, calling for an approach to be played from the right side of the fairway [4th b].  There is very little chance of holding the green from the left rough [4th a].  Then comes another tricky short hole, played to a slightly elevated green protected by a big mound on the right. [5th a].  From the 6th tee the drive is made, encouragingly, across a valley onto a distant ridge into which are set two bunkers (which I doubt are Fowler’s) [6th a/b].  A further ridge obscures the view to the green [6th c], so a marker post gives the line for the second shot, the green guarded by two further bunkers (probably not Fowler’s, either) [6th d].  

One of the more extraordinary holes is the 7th, a substantial two-shot hole played from an elevated tee [7th a/b] to a low fairway which moves from right to left.  It is the second shot which is quite unlike any other, requiring a substantial shot to climb past a couple of stone sheds [7th c], climbing further to a green which is itself raised up [7th d/e] and partly obscured by a hillock on the right.  As with many greens at Bull Bay, this one is slightly domed, rejecting all but the truest of approach shots, and needing a good short game to get a rescue pitch close to the hole.  Another inspiring drive follows, the 8th tee being secreted away amidst profuse gorse on a hilltop giving excellent views of the surrounding scenery, but little clue about where the fairway might be! [8th a/b, gorse 1/2]  Fortunately, there is plenty of width to the fairway [8th c/d].  Once again Fowler contrived to place the green on high ground, at the end of a steep rise into which two bunkers are set [8th e], and chipping around and putting on this sloping green is particularly testing.

The fun is only just beginning!  From another elevated tee the drive at the 9th is made downhill over a rocky outcrop [9th a/b] to a punchbowl fairway with a sizeable hillock rising in the middle of it [9th c].  It is not easy for the first-time visitor to asses quite what line to take, or, indeed, how far to hit the ball, as it is clearly apparent that it is quite possible to run out of fairway or be blocked out by gorse on the right and a rock face on the left! [9th d].  The next problem is assessing how much extra club to take for the approach shot, which is made steeply uphill to a mischievously-sited green [9th e/f].  Chipping and putting here is no easy matter, either.  [9th g/h/i/j].  Yet again, Fowler was blessed with a lovely spot for a tee on the 10th, a charming short hole played to a green (unusually) backed by trees, with a big left-to-right slope on the putting surface.  [10th a/b/c].  

What is so inspiring about Bull Bay is Fowler’s vision in finding so many memorable and unique holes on such a relatively compact piece of ground.  A glance over the surrounding fields reveals the sort of ground with which he was working and there is a good view to be had from the 11th tee.  Tumbling ground and a liberal helping of gorse confront the golfer [11th a/b/c], and a decent carry is demanded to reach the fairway, which rolls considerably as it unfolds towards the green [11th d/e].  Low ground immediately before the green complicates the approach shot [11th f/g] with the highest part of the sloping green being at the front on the left, with a treacherous run-off at the rear right [11th h].

Unfortunately, the next two holes appear to have been inserted into the round after Fowler’s time, for they are pedestrian in comparison with all that has come before, a bland par 3 [12th a/b] and a rather unsatisfactory short par 4  with a rising fairway narrowed by an unwelcome bunker [13th a/b].  It seems unlikely that the 14th drive is Fowler’s work, either, for it is a perplexing drive over elevated ground to an unseen lower fairway, the line indicated by a distant marker post.  [14th a].  However, from that sunken fairway a vintage shot follows, the fairway curving round gorse bushes to the left and significantly uphill to a hilltop green close to the similarly situated 8th green. [14th b/c].  A short walk round the back of this green leads to the 15th tee, again high above the fairway, with fine views all round  [15th a/b/c/d]. The fairway curves first right and then left as it descends and climbs [15th e/f] to an exposed green [15th g].  It is followed by an inoffensive-looking short hole [16th a/b], but there is a steep bank on the right front of the green which can deflect the ball which is nearly the perfect length but not quite [16th c/d].  

The 17th is a tough hole at this stage of the round, uphill and curving to the right, so the drive must be struck perfectly for length and direction, with gorse awaiting the pushed shot [17th b].  Although the green is relatively unprotected [17th a/c/d], its exposure to the wind makes the second shot harder than it appears to be.  Finally, there is another uplifting drive, downhill over banks of gorse towards the clubhouse with a sprinkling of bunkers to liven things up on the approach shot. [18th a/b/c/d/e].  

Architecturally, Bull Bay is quite unlike any other Fowler course.  Yet, comparing it with, say, Walton Heath, Delamere Forest, Saunton East or Beau Desert what is readily apparent is that in each case Fowler clearly responded to the nature of the ground on which he was working, never resorting to formulaic solutions to problems, managing to route the course in such a way that the architectural potential of the site was exploited to the maximum while retaining that sense that this was the obvious and logical way to route the holes.  Nothing is ever forced, yet there are surprises at every turn.  Bull Bay is very exposed to the wind, and on this coast it really can blow fiercely, and it is a long way from any major centre of population, but whatever the length of the journey, the fun to be had from this unique, even quirky, course is immense, provided the score does not matter, and green fees here are very moderate.

Mark_F

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 07:40:30 AM »
Tony

Thanks for the pix of Harlech.  The old boy does not get the respect it deserves on this site.  

Ciao

Sean

That's because it has a singular collection of unmemorable holes, Sean, notwithstanding 15.

It may be a fine test, but otherwise...

peter_p

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 06:59:02 PM »
   Thanks for the pix which bring back memories of part of my 1997 trip. Also had some letdown at Harlech with the under utilization of the dunes, and it was my first rain experience after a fortnight of golfing in the dry. It did stop for the last two holes.
   Nefyn & District has a lot of potential. Opening hole with a aiming stake a the edge of the  dropoff. Great holes along the cliffsides of the bay and the inlet, a nice punchbowl.
The original nine with the punchbowl/sinkhole is exciting golf.
I remember a tavern of sorts down on the rocks of the 6th(?)
and the blasted public path and trying to wait until noone was in the landing area on 1 and 9. And a great clubhouse crew amazed at an American rooting for the European side in the Ryder Cup. They didn't know I had a Ladbroke ticket at 4.5:1 in my pocket.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back