News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bryce Mueller

Pine Valley books
« on: August 17, 2006, 08:26:57 PM »
Just wondering if anybody knew of any great pine valley books or articles that were available to the public? I have fallen in love with the course, and would like as much information as possible about how it was created, the great stories that surround it, and stories about those who have played it.
Thanks so much...

Steve Lapper

Re:Pine Valley books
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 08:31:29 PM »
While there certainly are other older and shorter tomes (J.A. Brown's "Short History of PVGC" come to mind) none compare in totality to Jim Finegan's, "Pine Valley Golf Club." Sold new in the pro shop only, it and others can be found occasionally on eBay if you look.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 08:39:27 PM »
Bryce,

While the book Steve Lapper references is a good read, it only lightly touches on the architectural aspects of PV.

It's more along the lines of a history of the club, not the golf course.

I'd love to see a member of PV write an architectural history of the golf course, with a prologue or introduction by TEPaul.

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 09:01:00 PM »
"I'd love to see a member of PV write an architectural history of the golf course, with a prologue or introduction by TEPaul."

Patrick:

Another way may be to get a member to write the introduction or prologue with me writing the architectural history of the course's creation. Who am I to say but those at the club who know best tell me I probably know about five times more about the details of PV's creation and hole by hole than anyone there. ;)

Why is that? That would be an interesting question to ask and have answered but it just may be because noone there has the type of fixation about the details of how that course was created that I do.  ;)

It sort of blew my mind to interview a guy in the last month who actually caddied for George Crump when you consider that Crump died in January of 1918!!!

ed_getka

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 09:17:44 PM »
Bryce,
   There is a Pine Valley Walker Cup program (from the 70's, I believe) that has some interesting stuff about the course. I can't recall if there was a lot of architecture content, and I don't have access to it at the moment.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 09:25:06 PM »
TEPaul,

I think it would be a project worthy of pursuit.

paul cowley

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 09:33:42 PM »
...I agree as long as it doesn't take too much of your time away from Newark.
I think we might be tagging clearing limits early sept , with a chance to start soon after.
I will be in touch my friend. :)
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Bryce Mueller

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 09:38:47 PM »
yeah,
i have the program from the '85 walker cup, and it has some great photos and stories, but it doesn't have the new tees in there, and leaves me wanting a lot more information...

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 01:13:06 AM »
Rich Mandell has been working on a book. Rich...are you listening?
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 06:14:05 AM »
Forrest:

Rich Mandell has been working on a book about what?

Dave Maberry

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2006, 08:44:14 AM »
Rich Mandell has recently finished working on book(there was a post(http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=25027) in last few weeks looking for publisher) about evolution/development of golf in Sandhills of NC.

Dave

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2006, 09:33:49 AM »
Tom — I mis-read the post. Rich has been working on a book about Pinehurst and the Sand Hills...as pointed out. Sorry.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2006, 11:26:44 AM »
TEP,
Forgive Forrest. He's got sand on the brain in the same way he has trash on the brain when talking about the GREATNESS of Industry Hills. Poor guy, the bump on the head from that funicular accident really screwed-him up big time.

Forrest should stay off of skateboads and funiculars. They are a danger to him.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2006, 11:33:12 AM »
Tommy — I once pressed the large, red button for the funicular at Industry Hills and out popped a gin and tonic and a 19-year old co-ed caddie named Trish. So, don't knock it.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2006, 12:32:19 PM »
Yes, but she looked like Winston Churchill!

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2006, 12:45:52 PM »
No, Wendi Churchill.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 12:46:07 PM by Forrest Richardson »
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2006, 02:35:20 PM »
Wendi Churchill

Her Dad, Winston Churchill

The resemblence is striking....
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 02:46:37 PM by Tommy Naccarato »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back