News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Norbert P

Re: Best course in Washington State...
« Reply #125 on: June 19, 2009, 08:11:53 PM »
9th green from across the lake from main entrance.  June 2009

Tyler Daniels

9th green in December of 08.

Quite a difference in 6 months.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 08:18:33 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Richard Choi

« Reply #126 on: June 24, 2009, 12:31:02 PM »
Booked my tee times for this Saturday. Not looking forward to the 4 hour drive, but I am very excited to play this course. This will be timely as I am playing Chambers today with Tom Yost with greens cut to normal height. It will be fresh on my mind when I get to WV on Sat.

Slag, I will try to drop by and say hello!

tlavin

« Reply #127 on: June 24, 2009, 12:34:11 PM »
Are YOU a bunker slut?

[/quote]

If I am, you are an enabler.  Maybe the enabler-in-chief, because your bunkers are eye candy for the bunker sluts, whores and cheap dates of American golf.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #128 on: June 24, 2009, 12:42:08 PM »
Slag, I will try to drop by and say hello!

So you are coming through Portland then?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Richard Choi

« Reply #129 on: June 24, 2009, 12:46:17 PM »
So, Slag is not at Wine Valley... All righty then. :)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #130 on: June 24, 2009, 12:50:04 PM »
So, Slag is not at Wine Valley... All righty then. :)

PM him. He might make the trip to meet BRUSH TEE MAN.
;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #131 on: June 24, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »
Micheal D,

I'm an now quite pissed that I missed your original WV thread, because I had a free day to play somewhere on my drive from Boise to Portland a few weeks ago, but there wasn't much to choose from on the way.  I would definitely have stopped to play WV if I'd known about it.   :'(

Garland,

Maybe we played different courses, because I didn't find Tetherow a difficult walk in the least, and I carried my own bag.  Two long treks across the road and back, but other than that, not bad at all.  That 9 miles you quote could be cart path distance, which is always much longer than direct walking distance.  Royal New Kent in VA 'boasts' about the 13 miles (something like that) of cart paths.  I walked it and it was MUCH shorter than that by at least 4 miles (though still VERY long).  I did play with a member of the staff at Tetherow, who probably took us on shortcuts.  My home course is more of a difficult walk than Tetherow, and I've had 4 GCAers out there who can attest it's not really THAT bad.   I know I won't change your mind on this, so I can agree to disagree.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #132 on: June 24, 2009, 05:23:34 PM »
Scott,

I detailed all the walking problems at Tetherow on the its threads. No need to repeat them here. Let me know if you need links.

Richard Choi

« Reply #133 on: June 29, 2009, 11:10:13 AM »
Reporting in...

I had a FANTASTIC time at Wine Valley on Saturday. It is a wild and thrilling ride from the beginning to the end with some of the prettiest bunkers you will ever see. If you are a bunker whore, this is a course for you.

To think that this is only the second design by Dan Hixon, it is quite an accomplishment.

This is a HUGE course. The scales are just out of control. The fairways are 50 to 80 yards wide, the bunkers are 2 or 3 times the size of a typical course. The greens probably average over 10,000 sqft with wild undulations that, in combination with its fast greens, really tests your putting skills. Many times, what we thought was a bunker about 200 or 220 yards from the tee was actually 250 to 300 yards away. The scale of the place really plays tricks with your mind.

Only negative for me was that the while the fairways (and greens) are firm, they are very slow, especially in comparison with the green speed, so you can't really putt 50 yards from the green and bump and roll is iffy. I am not sure if they will ever get there with the type of grass that they have used.

The best way for me to describe this course is that this is Rustic Canyon with much more fairway elevation changes. If you like Rustic Canyon, you will LOVE Wine Valley.

I am working on a more detailed write up about Wine Valley in comparison to Rustic Canyon, Chambers Bay, and Ballyneal. But I will say that Chambers Bay is a better course. This sentiment was shared by my playing partner, Victor who was also at Ballyneal recently and has played CB as much as I have.

But it still does not diminish the fantastic course we have in Walla Walla. It is a must play course if you are anywhere nearby.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #134 on: June 29, 2009, 11:22:41 AM »
Scott B:

Well said indeed ... frankly, Bethpage Black is likely a harder walk than Tetherow.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back