News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Okula

Paspalum again
« on: July 12, 2006, 03:01:56 AM »
 have been asked advice on a new project on the northern Mediterranean coast. It will be a resort/real estate development.

Elevation is plus or minus 1000 ft. Temperatures are 100°+ for extended periods in the summer, low humidity, and with total drought from May-October. In the winter there are hard frosts, but average day-time highs of 50°'s. For bermudagrass it will mean winter overseeding.

There will be sand-based construction of greens and tees, with alkaline clay soil on fairways and roughs.

I'm told that there will be an ample supply of good quality water, and a healthy maintenance budget.

Is there any advantage to Paspalum over bermudagrass in this situation? On greens, tees, or fairways?
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Anthony_Nysse

Re:Paspalum again
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 05:54:22 AM »
Steve,
  I really think that if your water quality is good, there is no need to use paspalum unless you want to have a "feather in your cap." 419 Bermuda is a great surface, plus you dont have to spray for brownpatch like you do on paspalum.(Heritage, prostar, insignia...the really expensive fungicides.....)

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Chris Munoz

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 06:54:25 AM »
Steve, email Dr. Duncan.  He is the paspalum expert. I am sure he will answer all of your questions.  

turfecosystems@yahoo.com

Christian C. Munoz
Assistant Superintendent Corales
PUNTACANA Resort & Club
www.puntacana.com

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 08:48:20 AM »
Steve,
With an ample supply of good quality water, I would agree with Tony that bermuda is the way to go.
I know paspalum is all the rage in the south, and granted if your dealing with very bad water it is the proper choice, but based on what I've seen, I wouldn't use it unless I had no other choice. IMO, a well-managed bermuda surface is far superior.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back