News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Roewer

FOOD AND GOLF DESIGN
« on: July 07, 2006, 06:51:57 AM »
VOILA!    While watching the Senior OPEN yesterday and eating a falafel I finally realized the perfect model(s) for green design, incorporating internal movement, drainage, multiple hole placements, and visual attractiveness - the PITA !!!!! Get three packages of 6 each and spread them out.  Situate them so that you can fit bunkers and such whereever you want and you've got it. Of course pitas come in various sizes so you can have smaller or larger anywhere.

Brian_Ewen

Re:FOOD AND GOLF DESIGN
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 07:58:33 AM »
And ignore the natural landscape ? .

Tom Roewer

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 08:38:18 AM »
No of course not.  But look at a couple, they are great shapes for greens.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 12:10:43 PM »
But look at a couple, they are great shapes for greens.

Tom,

The same can be said of potato chips.

TK

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 02:09:13 PM »
I once wondered why so many golf features are named after food - potato chip greens, chocolate drop mounds, bear claw bunkers (a stretch, I know) kidney bean or peanut shaped greens, hot dog shaped bunkers,

Before he became a famous gca, Jim Engh was the project foreman on a project of mine in Louisana.  He couldn't resist shaping, but unfortunately, the only trick he had acquired in his limited dozer time was a mound shaped sort of like a crescent cookie.

One of my personal favorites is the "Pork Chop" Bunker, which I had designed for me early in my career, when a super took out all the jagged edges of a bunker after the shapers left work one - actually a few nights in a row - and then added a little narrow sand pro escape area.

I was honked and came in the third day saying we couldn't build a bunker that looked like a pork chop, trying to shame him, and he said, "yeah, I always wanted a pork chop bunker."  I hated it at first, but over the years have included a few of those damn things, usually on a short approach, where the top edge parallels the green surface, taking away the safety net of aiming your flop shot over the nose of the bunker, just in case.  

It seems we give features names, if for no other reason to communicate to shapers - they get the picture immediately if you say pork chop, easy chair, civil war trench, buried body, etc.  I once worked with a shaper to describe something and he ended up saying "you mean like a cow udder?"  I really didn't but is seemed to click with him and off he went.  He later suggested I wanted something shaped like a cow tongue,  again, which I didn't question.

Interesting musings for a Friday afternoon!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 02:09:27 PM »
Tyler,
I'd say the potato chip has less pinable surface...

My cherrywood headboard has lots of "bunkers" in it.. better than clouds anyway.

cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 03:11:11 PM »
My cherrywood headboard has lots of "bunkers" in it..

You stud....I couldn't pound a "bunker" into a balsawood headboard if my life depended on it....

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 03:54:44 PM »
You stud....I couldn't pound a "bunker" into a balsawood headboard if my life depended on it....

:D :D :D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back