News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Ralston

Intro To Doug Ralston
« on: July 05, 2006, 12:39:21 PM »
Greetings golf course lovers;

I have been reading your postings for some time. I saw one about obscure locations for courses, and was foolish enough to use Ran's e-mail to remind him of 'Twisted Gun' [which someone mentioned later, but you have GOT TO see the directions given in golfcourse.com to appreciate]. Anyway, this is the result of that e-mail. Now I have gotta do all this typing....

I am not a course designer. I am not even much of a golfer ["I don't have a handicap, I have a total disability"], but I DO love golf courses. Because I am not very skilled, and I am 55 yrs old with arthritis, I might be able to give you are different perspective on course design.......that is, how it plays from the front tees [please be kind, do not call them 'women's tees]. I think I can actually play up to about 5700 yards, and still hope for the occasional GIR.

Another aspect to being a 'bad golfer' is that I probably do not appreciate certain subtleties as much as you. 'Shot values' has never been an easy concept for me. I more or less decide what I might hit to go where I need to be for the next shot. If there is more than one place that seems good, I try to think which one will give me the best chances on the next shot, and is within the realm of possibility for this one  :-\. You say that IS 'shot values'? How so?

I live in the Cincinnati area, and have played many courses [I am not gonna conquer any, so I shall try to play them all] in Kentucky,Ohio, Indiana and a few in other surrounding states, and my perspective on course quality will come obviously from my limited experience. Of course, being poor, I have only played publics. Still, I think many have been worthy courses, and a few are IMHO sensational.

I hope you will consider my insights for what they are worth; not as a course designer, but as someone who loves good and beautiful courses. I would almost rather be on a golf course than play golf.

Now to it.

Doug

ed_getka

Re:Intro To Doug Ralston
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 12:49:35 PM »
Welcome Doug. You do not need to be a good golfer to participate here, otherwise I wouldn't be here. :) I look forward to hearing your perspective.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 12:50:07 PM »
Doug,

Nice story...If you can manage to drive 3 hours or so I will be happy to host you at Victoria National...my treat.  It's only the 21st best course in the country according to Golf Digest...but as you will find out that doesn't mean squat here.  This site is all about the access after all...as it should be.

Ted Kramer

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 12:53:23 PM »
Welcome aboard Doug.

-Ted

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 01:09:59 PM »
Doug, arthritis is the great antidote to the B&I technology war of distance enhancements.  Ironically, the same metalurgy technology that goes into the B&I gives lost distance and stamina back to us coggers if we get knees and hips replaced.  I'm headin in that direction too along with a few other GCAers... :-\

Welcome to the treehouse...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 03:22:00 PM »
John;

Looked back and wow! Thanks for the invite.....I never dreamed of playing on such a course. Think when I am done, i will like it even better than Eagle Ridge at Yateville Lake SP KY?  ;)

Doug

Thanks to all of you for your acceptance.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 03:24:03 PM »
Doug,

When you get done I can almost promise you that you wiil hate either me, the course or yourself...but not all three..

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back