News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

I played with him in 96 degree alabama weather today and he hit 12 greens including 1 pin.  Shot 80.....and was fussing because we played the course at 6700 instead of 7000....these writers just keep getting better and better....of course he attributed it to yoga and weight training...he really played well.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 07:54:42 PM by Mike_Young »
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tommy_Naccarato

Mike,
It's all because of those rounds he recenty played at Trump National LA!

D-E-N-N-Y  C-R-A-N-E...... ;)

John_Conley

Igolfbadly
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 08:48:59 PM »
Great to hear!

Mike, I haven't played a round with Brad for a few years.  He's never played badly with me.  I've joked that a pairing with me brings out the best in him.

Way to go, Sir!

Mike_Young

Mike,
It's all because of those rounds he recenty played at Trump National LA!

D-E-N-N-Y  C-R-A-N-E...... ;)

Tommy,
Have you seen Denny out there lately???  doesn't he have a girlfriend he goes to see in LA??

Brad Klein

First time on an RTJ Trail course - the Shoals-Schoolmaster, in Muscle Shoals. We were playing a casual game, but Mike kindly didn't let his perfectly good game interfere with mine today. We're here for a Golfweek SuperNews' Greens Management Academy Progarm at Turtle Point GC in Killen, Ala., in conjunction wih the Alabama Golf Course Superintendents Association meeting.

Had great birdie chances at 7, 10, 11 (made it), 12, 13, 16 and 18. On the par-5 12th, my sand wedge approach landed at the base of the flag, jumped out, and I missed the 8-footer. Review of course to follow in Golfweek.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 09:54:28 PM by Brad Klein »

W.H. Cosgrove

I understand that Hercules Klein has also been pumping iron and attribute his prodigious new found length to a combination of that iron and anabolic/HGH cocktails.  

TEPaul

Brad Klein is now into weight training???

What the hell is going on in this world of golf these days??  ;)

I can see Bradley coming up with new found length and such. This last weekend at Fishers Island there was a nice guy by the name of Mike Mansur who in stature and in swing is very much like Bradley and to my amazement he was getting the ball out there in the same neighborhood as John Fought (1977 US Amateur champ and former tour player) and occasionally he was very near to catching Walker Taylor too who really does take a very healthy cut at the ball that generates a lot of distance.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 08:45:42 AM by TEPaul »

Mike_Young

Brad Klein is now into weight training???

What the hell is going on in this world of golf these days??  ;)

I can see Bradley coming up with new found length and such. This last weekend at Fishers Island there was a nice guy by the name of Mike Mansur who in stature and in swing is very much like Bradley and to my amazement he was getting the ball out there in the same neighborhood as John Fought (1977 US Amateur champ and former tour player) and occasionally he was very near to catching Walker Taylor too who really does take a very healthy cut at the ball that generates a lot of distance.
TE,
It's not the weight training as much as the Yoga and Pilates.....hell he can take his glasses off with his toes while standing on one hand.

Brad Klein

Yoga is phenomenal for your golf game in terms of strength, balance and flexibility. Besides, the women in the classes are a real draw.

Bill_McBride

Brad, how do you compare the new RTJ Trail course at the Shoals to the strong original courses?  In my mind the best of the originals were the Lake and Links 18s at Grand National/Auburn, and the Sherling/Canyon 18 at Cambrian Ridge/Greenville.  I was really turned off last spring by the Judge in Prattville, very repetitous elevated greens complexes and the ghastly finishing duo followed by the $1 million corkscrew wooden bridge back up the hill.

Brad Klein

RTJ Trail Shoals-Schoolmaster i's the first of the whole group I've ever seen and it was not enough to make me eager to see another one. Very built up, vast earth-moving for no particular purpose. It's excessive, and while the service is excellent and the maintenance is pretty good the design is just based upon size.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 10:40:30 AM by Brad Klein »

Bill_McBride

If the latest are the only you've seen, a trip to Auburn (maybe 2-1/2 hours SW of Atlanta on I-85) might be worthwhile.  Still not good, unwalkable due to lengthy bridges, but a whole lot better and much more fun to play than the Prattville new stuff for example.

I've always thought the brutality of the designs in many cases is so that some guys will come down from Wisconsin in February, get their brains beat out, and go home and tell their buds, "you gotta see these nasty courses in Alabama."  It's a marketing ploy!

Jeff_Brauer

I can attest to the fact that Brad's game is much better, having played with him in Minnesota last year.

I can also attest to the benefits of yoga and pilates on the golf game.  I have felt so much better since doing the stretching in yoga for about six months that it isn't funny.  I was able to play 36 holes a day this weekend without any pain in the lower back at all - and without snarfing tons of Advil.  

I think there are some benefits in increased shoulder turn as well. I haven't seen it improve my putting.....
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

W.H. Cosgrove

The Alabama folks might be using difficulty as a marketing ploy, but after getting my brains kicked in down there several years ago, I have no desire to go back.  (with the possible exception of Auburn/Opelika).

The investment must be working for the Alabama retirement system but does anyone have any idea of how many of the players go back?  

PThomas

Brad is so damn thin already and now he's doing yoga....

I've lost 20 pounds and he still one-ups me....
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mike_Young

After golf he was walking around the pool in this mini-thong(banana hammock) and I would swear he did not weight 160 but the golf writer groupies(females that is) were all over him.....yep, something to that yoga....

Mike Hendren

Two legends right in my own backyard and no opportunity to extend Hillbilly hospitality.  I'm wounded. :'(

Mike

Now Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers
And they've been known to pick a song or two
Lord they get me off so much
They pick me up when I'm feeling blue
Now how about you?

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mike_Young

Two legends right in my own backyard and no opportunity to extend Hillbilly hospitality.  I'm wounded. :'(

Mike

Now Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers
And they've been known to pick a song or two
Lord they get me off so much
They pick me up when I'm feeling blue
Now how about you?

That is Sweet home AL...right????

PThomas

After golf he was walking around the pool in this mini-thong(banana hammock) and I would swear he did not weight 160 but the golf writer groupies(females that is) were all over him.....yep, something to that yoga....

and he said earliier in this thread the women in the classes are good too...the wily Professor strikes again...
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back