News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Shotzbarger

Did Ross ever build a Redan or other template hole?
« on: April 28, 2006, 07:04:08 PM »
On wednesday I played at St. David's GC (Ross 1927) in a match. On the way there I noticed a nice redan just next to the road we were coming in on. I was interested because I made the realization that no Ross course I've ever played had a redan hole. I was very excited when we got there (hole 17, 154 yards) and tried to knock it on. After I hit my opponent told me that 17 and 18 are brand new holes and I later learned that they were designed by Brian Silva.

So this brings me to the question: did Ross ever design a template hole anywhere?

Brad Klein

Re:Did Ross ever build a Redan or other template hole?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 12:35:13 AM »
Template hole? Never. But the 9th at his Biltmore Forest GC in Asheveille, NC is a Redan, his only one.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 12:50:10 AM »
Brad,

Ross built a 'Biarritz' green at the 16th hole at Pine Ridge in Winnipeg, Mb. The hole is not of the same length at the template versions incorporated by Macdonald & Raynor however, playing more in the 170 yard range.

TK

Dan Boerger

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 01:43:37 AM »
Bill - Unless I'm mistaken, the new 17 and 18 at St. Davids were designed by Ron Pritchard. - Dan
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 09:11:17 AM »
Bill,

Interesting question.

Perhaps Ross didn't build template holes in the Mac/Raynor/Banks sense (Redan, Short, Biarritz, Double Plataeu, etc.), however, I think Ross did have his own template holes and greens.

More in a bit.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back