News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

David Joy as "Old Tom"
« on: March 05, 2006, 12:48:37 PM »
Has anyone seen David Joy in the one man play about "Old Tom Morris"?  I have his compilation "Scrapbook of Old Tom" which is one of my favorite books.  Yet, with all his work as an historian, all it seems we recognise him for is his bit in the NXT commercials playing "Old Tom" with John Cleese.  

I did a site search for David Joy and didn't find anything on our site.  Don't you think it would be a Joy to have Mr. Joy interviewed by Ran or participate in the treehouse?

http://webplus.joy.abel.co.uk/
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dave Maberry

Re:David Joy as "Old Tom"
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 01:00:40 PM »
I picked up a video a few years ago where David plays "Old Tom". "TOM MORRIS: Keeper of the Greens" appears to be available from website link in post #1.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 01:01:09 PM »
I have seen his act several times when in St. Andrews. I must say that he looks every inch the spitting image of photographs of old Tom Morris.  

His monologue  sounds like a recitation of some of the history of clubs, balls and matches through the ages and if as delivered to a bunch of friends at the local pub.

If you have the chance to take in a performance, do so, its cracking entertainment.

Bob

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 01:29:45 PM »
Dave, did you buy the video in Europe or US?  I wonder if I ordered it, will it be in NCST or PAL format.  I'll have to search around the US market for a copy, I think.

It seems like the material would be perfect for the Golf Channel to air.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 03:25:04 PM »
I saw him at the EIGCA AGM last year and I think he is fantastic.  I really enjoyed it and can recommend him to anyone thinking about hiring him.

An interview with him would be superb.

Dick, I bet you can get the film as a DVD now.

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Dave Maberry

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 07:18:22 AM »
Richard,
 I picked my copy up on Ebay a few years ago. It is a "NTSC" version. I compared my video case with the one on David Joy's webite and they are identical. I have tried to find video in US but have not come up with anything. I think I may have seen it in Pinehurst at Tom Stewart's Old Sport Gallery but his website(under construction) isn't available.
Dave

Alfie

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 06:17:23 PM »
RJ Daley,

Have known David for over 13 years now and can vouch for him being a really pleasant and amiable person as well as THE authority for anything and everything about "Tom Morris Snr" - as David says ; Tom Morris wasn't always an old man !

As well as being a leading golf historian, David is an accomplished artist and has a large collection of his work showing many of the early golfing greats depicted in swing mode. Morris, Fernie, Braid, Robertson etc......

Like Bob Huntly, I would recommend to anyone (not just the historically inclined) to go see David's show if you ever have the opportunity.

He's also written a beautiful book - St Andrew's and The Open Championship - which should appeal to all the St Andrean fanat.....admirers. ;)  Great guy, and has helped me immensely over the years !

Alfie.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 08:55:15 PM »
Alfie, any chance we can hook Mr. Joy up with Ran for some chat, or have him weigh in on GCA.com on a topic that might interest him?  I see on his web site that he is a seascape painter in oils.

The illustrations on his web site are great.
http://webplus.joy.abel.co.uk/gallery.php

Sean Walsh

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 09:01:09 PM »
Is this the same bloke that is described in Michael Bamberger's To the Linksland?

If so seems a very eccentric fellow.

Dave Maberry

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 09:41:28 AM »
Richard,
 If you access David's website via post #1 and select "Order Form" both USA and European versions are available.
Dave

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 12:06:48 PM »
Dave, now I see it.  I didn't look closely enough to notice the two frequency formats, PAL and NTSC were offered.  Thanks.

BCrosby

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 01:09:54 PM »
I had the pleasure of spending several hours with David last summer. A delightful guy, an excellent historian and a natural born actor.

I have not seen his show but can only think it would be terrific.

I understood from David that a US tour may be in the works. Let's hope it happens.

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back