News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Blasberg

Prairie Club
« on: March 21, 2006, 06:53:12 AM »
Does anyone know the construction status of this project?  From their website the layout seems quite unique given the contrast between sweeping sand hills topography and towering pines and canyons.

I wish we had more sand hills on LI :-\  

Jimmy Muratt

Re:Prairie Club
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 02:11:56 PM »
From what I have heard, the goal of the Prairie Club now is to be destination type of resort, similar to Bandon.  

The land looks absolutely phenomenal.  It really appears to be a one-of-a-kind site with the sand hills, canyon rim, and towering pines.  The planned second course would take avantage more of the choppier sand hill section.  

Below is a routing of the first course.  You can see how the front nine incorporates more of the sand-hill area and the back nine skirts the edge of the canyon rim.  #13 is a short par 3 to a skyline green.  #15 is a driveable par 4 where the aggressive line is over the canyon rim.  

Hanse and Shackelford really seem to have used centerline hazards well, and risk/reward decision abound and require you to take aggressive angles.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 02:14:16 PM by Jimmy Muratt »

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 02:56:37 PM »
Jimmy:

Do you know if they've broken ground?

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 02:59:16 PM »
Jason,

I don't believe they have broken ground yet.  I think they are hoping to do so this spring/summer.  

George Pazin

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 05:17:38 PM »
You might want to check Geoff's site periodically, sometimes he has updates.

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 08:41:41 PM »
I have seen Gil's excellent routing in person...it is an amazing site. I spoke with the owner a few months ago as we have become long-diatance friends as a result to my daughter "stealing" one of his kittens a few years back. From what I heard it is about to begin, but still waiting final details of financing.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 08:42:08 PM by Forrest Richardson »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 08:51:59 PM »
I have no inside information.  I was honored to be invited to see this land with Gil and Geoff and meet the owner-developer, up close and personal.  It is an amazingly beautiful project concept.  But, it is one of those good things that so often needs time and patience to make sure it goes forward on a solid footing.  There is a lot going on out in that sand hill region right now, and there are broad considerations to be understood.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jason Hines

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 09:07:11 PM »
I understand that good things come to those who wait, patience is a virtue, etc.  However, doesn’t the early bird the worm?  Dick is correct that there are a lot of exciting things happening west of here 150 miles.  I bet we are in for a few surprises. ;)  
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 10:21:35 PM by Jason_Hines »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back