News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Coan

Where does Barnbougle Dunes rank on the Doak scale?
« on: February 12, 2006, 11:29:37 PM »
For those that have played it, where would you rank it on the scale?  (copied from a thread I found while searching...)

0:  So contrived and unnatural, cannot recommend under any circumstances.

1:  Very basic course; clear architectural malpractice and/or
poor maintenance. Avoid even if desperate for a game.

2:  Mediocre course with little architectural interest, but nothing really horrible. (Play it in a scramble and drink a lot of beer).

3:  About the level of the avg. course in the world.

4:  Modestly interesting; with at least a couple of distinctive holes or some scenic interest.  Also reserved for some very good courses which are much too short or narrow to provide sufficient challenge for low-handicappers.

5:  Well above the avg. course, but the middle of this scale.  A good course if in the vicinity, but not worth setting aside a day to visit.

6:  A very good course, definitely worth a game, but not necessarily worth a special trip to see. It shouldn't disappoint you.

7:  An excellent course, worth checking out if within 50-100 miles. You can expect sound design; interesting holes; good conditions and a pretty setting; if not necessarily anything unique to the world of golf.

8:  One of the very best in the region and worth a special trip to see. Could have some drawbacks, but will make up for them with something really special.

9:  Outstanding course. One of the best in the world with no weaknesses. Should see in your lifetime.

10:  Nearly perfect. If you skipped even one hole you would miss something worth seeing. MUST see these courses to appreciate how good golf architecture can get.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 11:39:24 PM by Scott Coan »

Sean Walsh

Re:Where does Barnbougle Dunes rank on the Doak scale?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 11:47:44 PM »
I would say a top end 8.  Close to a 9.  

What KH and Royal Melb on the Doak Scale?

For that matter what is Lahinch?  I'd rate it on the same level or a little better than KH and about the same as Lahinch.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 11:48:52 PM by Sean Walsh »

Michael Robin

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 12:13:22 AM »
A 9. And maybe Gourmet's Choice.

Also, 9 should read per the book: "An outstanding course-certainly one of the best in the world-with no weaknesses in regard to condition, length, or poor holes. You should see this course sometime in your life."

KH is an 8. RMW is a 10. RME is a 6. Lahinch is an 8.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 12:46:33 AM by Michael Robin »

Chris Kane

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 01:00:48 AM »
RMW 10; Commonwealth (old), KH, RA 8; Victoria, NSW 7; Metropolitan, RME, Yarra Yarra, Royal Sydney, The Australian 6.

Using these Australian courses as a guide, I'd imagine Barnbougle would be a 9.  To me its clearly better than Kingston Heath, but falls short of RMW.  Unfortunately I havn't played enough 8-10's around the world to make an informed guess.

Mark_F

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 05:20:45 AM »

It's the most visceral golf experience in Australia, but has a few weak holes, and a few ordinary ones too.

Chris,

Don't you think 2, 8 and 16 at Barnbougle are the 'worst' of the 36 holes between KH and Barnbougle?

Chris Kane

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 05:28:59 AM »
No I don't Mark, I think #2 at KH is the worst hole on either course.  That isn't to say that #8 and #16 at BD are good holes - they're both ordinary at best.  I thought #2 was a terrific hole.

Mark_F

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 05:35:09 AM »
Chris,

I'm glad you say that - I always thought 2 at KH was a very ordinary hole, until a round with the formidable Mr Mollica a few weeks back in which he sang its praises had me scratching my head.  Now, weight of opinion has swung back on my side.  :)

I like the 2nd green at Barnbougle, but the bunkers are horrible - they don't even remotely look like they are supposed to be there.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 06:15:27 AM »
Barny Dunes is definitely a Doak 9.

Mark & Chris-

I think #2 at KH is ok, but not a bad as you boys obviously think it is. They should clear out the growth on inside of the dog-leg to make it better.

MM
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 06:17:09 AM by Matthew Mollica »
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

David_Elvins

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 10:51:49 AM »
No 2 at KH will be very good when they play it as a par 5 to the 3rd green.  Bringing the 19th into play and giving both 9s two par 5s and two Par 3s will give the course the balance it sorely missed.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Jason Topp

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 10:53:49 AM »
No 2 at KH will be very good when they play it as a par 5 to the 3rd green.  Bringing the 19th into play and giving both 9s two par 5s and two Par 3s will give the course the balance it sorely missed.

I would consider it a disaster to get rid of the current 3rd.  I like the 2nd and do not understand the problem with it.

Mark_F

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 03:26:51 PM »
Matt,

I think the descriptions of the Doak scale don't always work.

Barnbougle is a should see in your lifetime course, but also has several weaknesses, as well as weak holes.

That makes it an 8.3

James_Livingston

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 04:33:09 PM »
I agree David, it will also give it the second 4.5 shotter that it desperately needs. ;)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 04:34:15 PM by James_L »

Scott Coan

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 04:40:52 PM »
Looks like it's fairly unanimous that it's a 8/9, which is where I would put it judging by all the photos/reviews I have seen.  Always good to hear it directly from those that have made the trip so thanks for the responses.  

I am still attempting to twist the arms of some travelling companions to include BD in a Melbourne trip itinerary.  The p**fs think it's too far to travel so I have formed a splinter group of one and booked it for myself.  Like the saying goes about horses and water I guess.

I will gladly drink the Barnbougle Dunes Kool-Aid!

If any of the Melbournites would like a game I am booked to play 36 at Barnbougle on Monday May 01 2006 and cannot wait.

Cheers,
Scott

Sean Walsh

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 06:44:27 PM »
Scott,

How many of you making up this splinter group?

I'm intending to go at the start of April but if that doesn't get off the ground and you want some company give me a buzz.

Scott Coan

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2006, 04:53:18 PM »
Sean,

As it stands now it looks like I will be on a solo mission/pilgrimage on the 1st of May.  I could certainly use the company and will IM you the details.

Cheers  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back