News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re:Par Three, Executive,"Short Course" - Are these models where it's at?
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2006, 04:11:12 PM »
Brian - I have no clue what wetlands issues are in Scotland, but here in the US they are a massive pain, so I was gonna guess this was the deal.  Better to open 8 holes and see what's what then wait for the 9th that may never come.  Makes perfect sense.  And the area between 6 and 7 was where I was figuring the extra hole could go.

As for green fees, hmmm... that's about what we pay for courses of this ilk in California... I guess it's about right.

I remain interested in how they treat access to short game area.

TH

Mark_Fine

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2006, 04:12:06 PM »
Brian,
Nice layout.  I love short courses like that and like others, wish there were more.  The problem (at least in most areas) is that it is so hard to justify building them.  I'm guessing that facility you showed sits on about 30 acres of land, give or take.  In our area in the Lehigh Valley (and we are not on the real high end) that land could be worth $3 or $4 million dollars.  It you stick out in the country away from civilization, you'd cut the price in half but it is still a big capital expense to swallow.  Available (an affordable) land is the single biggest reason so few facilities like this are being built.  What kind of return does that one generate?  I'd love to see the numbers.

I've been studying this for quite some time as we were trying to do just what you have laid out there for over three years in the Lehigh Valley and could never get close to getting it to work.  Our best shot was trying to lease land near the main airport that was in the "runway buffer" zone.  We wanted to lease it cheap so we could justify building the facility but we couldn't get it to work.  We ended up doing what I explained earlier and it is proving to be fantastic.  There are a lot of people excited about the concept and we got some big organizations to step up and sponsor its development.  The cost is a fraction of what we would have spent.
Mark

jeffwarne

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2006, 04:14:02 PM »
Mark  Brown,
I'd love to hear more about your "simpler,proven method of teaching"
Compared to what?

Thanks
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jari Rasinkangas

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2006, 05:02:50 PM »
I've made a master plan study for a client who wants to have a nine hole course with some holiday housing with it.  The main purpose for the course would be to have a place to play for the beginners, children, seniors etc.  It will have also good practice facilities and a small three hole course for the youngest children.

We also have one more idea with the course.  We are planning to use also Cayman balls so that you can play the course "longer" with them.  The course is par 30 Executive with normal ball and par 36 with Cayman ball.

The Cayman ball would be perfect for beginners and children because it is easier to get airborne and it is also safer.

Jari

Michael Robin

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2006, 05:50:12 PM »
Forrest - Where at Promontory are you laying out The Short Course? Are you out past Nicklaus, or on the backside? Also, I didn't think that they had broken ground on Weiskopf yet, so does that mean you guys will be the 3rd course ready for play in 2007? Or do I have my facts all wrong?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 05:51:31 PM by Michael Robin »

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2006, 06:26:44 PM »
The Short Course is toward the west edge — as you drive in from Park City. It is the sloping ground above the new equestrian center, from Promontory Ranch Road to the south. It climbs 250-feet over three holes and then pretty much cascades to the finish. We have designed a "Short-Cut Hole" (which falls after No. 5). This allows players to take a short cut to No. 16, which completes a 9-hole round...(i.e., 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, SC, 16, 17 and 18).

You are correct about the Weiskopf Course. It is not final to my knowledge. I am not certain when it will get underway...there is no schedule that I know of.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 06:31:06 PM by Forrest Richardson »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Michael Robin

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2006, 06:51:28 PM »
Sounds like a lot of fun! Love the short cut hole idea. Much good luck with the project.

They had quite a bold vision for what seemed like an awkward piece of land, but it looks like quite a success.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back