News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Re:The most artificial GCA?
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2006, 11:54:31 AM »
Did Berthet's woman provide better golf than Thomson's suggestive moundwork and bunkering in Canada?  But what I found curious, good golf course or not, is why a Frenchman would want to copy a French fort.  Every time they thought they were winning along would come a Nelson or a Wellington and knock them down to size.  Why not copy the Maginot Line and build a defenceless course.... with lots of options of going round either side, real strategy.

John Goodman

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2006, 12:10:58 PM »
A good point, Mark -

Berthet really took a chance with this - one look at the fortress motif and most French golfers would speedily surrender . . . or maybe just offer to collaborate on the design . . .  

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2006, 12:20:55 AM »
I applaud the work.

Desmond, I am certain, is quite jealous wherever he may be...but I suspect he would find the concept — here just a matter of duplication — a bit less entertaining that the metaphorical work of Stone Harbor, Lippo, etc.

It takes balls to do something like this. I'll bet they hurt by now.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Doug Siebert

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2006, 01:09:44 AM »
Near the woman-leg 15th hole (where long and longer patches of grass delineate a stocking top and a garter), in an indelicate, unplayable little marsh, the artist has planted aromatic sprays of lavender. "The purpose of rough," Berthet says, "is to make the golfer hesitate. Then you have only a few minutes to find your ball. It is seldom enough time."

Agh!  Berthet is actually DESIGNING for slow play!  A lot of architects do it unintentionally or have no choice due to the land they were given.  But it was a conscious choice with him!

Sorry, based on that, I have to take away the artistic license I was letting him use via TEPaul's "big world" theory.  Its a big world, but it isn't big enough to allow architects to deliberately encourage slow play! :P
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2006, 01:13:02 AM »
Whew! A quick read through the thread, and it isn't about me! ;D
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Paul Carey

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2006, 09:30:55 PM »
I want to hate it but I like the attitude and the boldness of it...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back