News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Moore

Tweedie/Diddel Courses in Chicago Area
« on: January 03, 2006, 08:50:37 PM »
The CDGA is holding qualifying rounds for the 2006 CDGA Amateur at Ridge CC in Chicago and Sunset Ridge in Northfield.  

I am wondering if anyone has information about these courses and a recommendation concerning which one might be more interesting to play.  

Ridge CC was originally built in 1902 and designed by H. J. Tweedie.  Tweedie, originally from Holylake, was a member of Chicago Golf Club.  Dick Nugent and Ken Killian redesigned this course in 1972.  

Assuming this works, here is a neat photo of Tweedie from 1905.  

Sunset Ridge was designed by William Diddel in 1924 and renovated a short time later by Charles Wagstaff.  Sunset Ridge in Northbrook has just undergone a comprehensive renovation com,lpeted in 2005 under Rick Jacobson’s direction.  

The Sunset Ridge renovation entails all new tees and bunkers, resurfacing of all greens, construction of a new putting green, pond dredging, a new drainage system, new cart paths to help golfer circulation, and fairway contouring.  Greens have been expanded – and in some cases squared off – to recapture pin placements and to create new pin positions.  The 15th green was rebuilt, expanded and recontoured and reshaped.  In addition, the club has undertaken a major clubhouse renovation/reconstruction program.

Some info on Diddel.  

http://ronkerngolfarch.com/bildidas.html
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 02:01:32 PM by Dan Moore »
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Andy Silis

Re:Tweedie/Diddel Courses in Chicago Area
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 08:13:20 AM »
If you hit it straight and can putt, play Ridge. Short and somewhat cramped it's a fun semi-quirky routing where you can make a bunch of birdies.

tlavin

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 03:49:12 PM »
If you are a long hitter, Sunset Ridge is a better choice.  If you are good with a fairway wood or iron off the tee and like to put small, very fast and tricky greens, Ridge is a better call.

In terms of design, Ridge is squeezed onto less than 100 acres of flat, vanilla real estate and has some really stupid holes, but a handful of very nice holes.  The routing was recently changed (flipped the nines) and they did some bunker work, but it is widely known as The Tavern with a Nice Backyard, because of its very social nature.  It isn't known for the layout.

Sunset Ridge is also a basically dead-flat golf course that is predominated by a series of shortish par fours that turn left or right.  Rick Jacobson just renovated the course and did a terrific job with the placement and design of the bunkering.  It is a much better golf course these days, but still would have a hard time making the top 25 courses in Chicago, by anybody's measure.

SL_Solow

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 03:58:47 PM »
No need for further comment, Shivas and Terry have it just right.  For the CDGA amateur, a score of 75 or less will usually get you through to the main draw.

Dan Moore

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 05:40:01 PM »
Thanks all; very helpful and informative.  

100 acres--yikes; must be short and tight.  

Right now my choice probably will come down to schedule.  From your descriptions I think I'd rather play Sunset but right now its looking like the Ridge.  I will be in LA the Thursday- Saturday prior to the Sunset date and I hear there  is something called the Kings Puttercup happening then that sounds like its worth checking out!  

I don't know about being able to qualify, I'm really just looking to get some competitive experience before becoming eligible for senior events in a few years.  But I sure wouldn't mind moving on to two rounds at Beverly CC.
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Dan Moore

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 07:28:22 PM »
Yes, but only if its single malt and not while I'm golfing.  

SL_Solow

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 09:29:07 AM »
Shivas;  methinks an early tour of Briarwood may be in order.

Dan Moore

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 09:51:04 AM »
Shivas;  methinks an early tour of Briarwood may be in order.

Shelly,

I saw your description of Briarwood;  sounds great.  I look forward to being the next victim (I mean....visitor) and to meeting you and Chivas ( I mean....Shivas) for a Scotch Game.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back