News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Gracely

Are the walks at Tobacco Road worse than Sand Hills?
« on: December 31, 2005, 05:32:13 PM »
Tobacco Road seems to be enjoyed by the majority of people that play there.  The one consistant complaint, among those that don't initially hate it, is that certain walks are too long.  

Sand Hills is rated almost universally as the #1 modern course.  Other than Pat Mucci, why don't people consistant mention that as a drawback of the course?  

Comparably long walks at Sand Hills:
Ben's Porch to 1 tee
1 green to 2 (black-diamond) tee
11 green to 12 tee
15 green to 16 tee

Then throw in long walks on non-packed sand from almost every tee to fairway, and I wonder why the double-standard is applied?  

I'm looking forward to Bandon Trails constantly being bashed for the walk from #13 to #14 being too long  ;)

Paul Payne

Re:Are the walks at Tobacco Road worse than Sand Hills?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 06:11:37 PM »
I thought TR was not only longer from green to tee, but had more abrupt hills to climb in places. I'd say it is harder unless you count the walk from the clubhouse to the starter shack at SH. That would be a killer.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 06:21:51 PM »
The dirty little secret about Sand Hills that has to be seen to be believed is that it is a cart ball course...Ben saw a hundred great holes, just not 18 together.  

Paul Payne

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 06:27:44 PM »
JK,

That is true, the walks between the holes do not provide many short cuts so you have to follow the cart paths which  sometimes feel like you are walking old dirt roads in the prarie.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 06:29:15 PM »
Paul,

What percentage of rounds played at Sand Hills are by cart as opposed to foot...

Paul Payne

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 06:37:18 PM »
When I have played there we walk most of the rounds and ride some. I have only seen a handfull of other walkers EVER. In fact, when you tell the clubhouse you are going to walk they give that long "City Slicker" look.

I think there are only a few walks that seem really long. For example, when you are in a cart it seems like forever between #1 and #2 because you need to skirt a large knob between your approach or wedge shot and the back of the green. Then you are off to climb the hill to #2.

If you are walking you go right off the back of the green to the climb to #2. It is not as bad as the cart riders think.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back