News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_F

Re:Sebonack website
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2005, 12:59:31 AM »
Why is there such an endless fascination with everything to do with this course, and club, before it has even opened?

I don't see how it can ever live up to anyone's expectations (now).

Doug Siebert

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2005, 01:11:12 AM »
Well, my expectation is that I won't get a chance to play it or even see it in person, so it will have no problem living up to those expectations! 8)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2005, 02:16:51 AM »
Wow, people must have a lot of spare time for the holidays

I guess that is why they call them holidays[/b]  ;D
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

John Foley

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2005, 08:13:13 AM »
When I was at Shinney for the open in '04, I was hanging around the first tee on Wednesday afternoon. As the players came up and said hello to the officials one of the guys got alot of attention. Come to find out it was Fred Ridley the exec director. When VJ and Ernie came up, he brought them over and introduced them to two gentlemen standing inside the ropes. One of the gentlemen had on a hat w/ a pretty neat looking logo, but one I had never seen before.

After the group tee's off the two gentlemen leave. I look at thier badges and the one w/ logo is Tucker Fredrickson (ex-RB for the Giants) & I come to find out later is the logo is from Sebonack.

That is around the time they had the press conference announcing the course so I would guess that is when they started showing off the logo.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 08:14:16 AM by john_foley »
Integrity in the moment of choice

Mark Hissey

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2005, 11:49:36 AM »
The logo is actually slightly different to the one on the site. It isn't a huge difference, but the official logo isn't as thick looking as the one on the site and is identical to the one on the shutters. The logo will just have the "s" and no word. I have no idea why the lines are there but they will be removed shortly.

Sebonack will open at the start of the summer in 2006. There is no official golf pro yet, though Jason McCarty from Cape Kidnappers will be working there next summer.

As Tom said, the logo has a somewhat interesting story. We were used to seeing the mansion for a few years before it was actually demolished. We knew every square inch of the place. Mr. Sabin's initials were nowhere to be found in the house, probably because they had been removed long ago by the union. However, on the day we were demolishing the house, Garret Bodington the superintendent actaully got up on the bucket of the excavator and ripped down the shutter. Only then did we get a good look at the logo as it was impossible to see beforehand. It was like a revalation and we immediately loved it. The final message from Mr. Sabin. We really wanted to keep it identical to the original so as Tom said, I actually had to xerox the shutter to get it right. We really felt fortunate that we found it and that we didn't get forced to accept some contrived nonsense.

The remaining original shutters have all been saved (many had already been removed years ago). The original shutter removed that day will be on display in the clubhouse and there will be one in each of the cottages.

As for the Sand Hills, well young Mr. Greco has one of the first two dozen to be produced. He's such a nice respectable young man who deserved to get a limited edition item. He quietly impressed me on two occasions and hopefully it will bring him some luck.

There is actually a prototype hat which I have worn for the whole project. Needless to say it is not in the best of shape. Clean, but very faded and worn. I think I'll retire it when Sebonack opens and it will be hung behind the bar in the clubhouse.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2005, 11:53:24 AM »
Mark - many thanks for the clarifications and updates.

And young Mr. Greco impressed a bunch of us GCA regulars also, this past June out at Sand Hills.  Let's just say he did the hat proud.  It did give him good luck then, and I hear it has continued to do so.  Very cool.

TH
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 11:56:57 AM by Tom Huckaby »

redanman

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2005, 02:03:03 PM »
Logos?

Simple, distinctive or unique, recognized by those who know.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2005, 02:22:59 PM »
Would any of this be discussed if only Jack were the architect?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2005, 02:30:33 PM »
Would any of this be discussed if only Jack were the architect?

Discussed?  Sure.  Reference Dismal River.  Approved?  That part is open to debate.   ;)

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2005, 02:44:11 PM »
The Dismal River logo?

Start a post on the Dismal River name or logo, and see how far that gets
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2005, 03:37:08 PM »
The Dismal River logo?

Start a post on the Dismal River name or logo, and see how far that gets

Not my fight, nor do I have a dog in it, nor do I really care.

But the DR name was discussed, in a thread about the course.  I'm not sure they have a logo yet.

Brian Noser

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2005, 03:49:28 PM »
Tom they do have a logo, It is some weird looking buffalo.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 03:50:56 PM by Brian Noser »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2005, 03:53:59 PM »
Well I'll be.  Thanks, Brian.

I kinda like it.  Simple, unique, will be recognized by those who know.  Great criteria I shall take full credit for creating.

;)
Just make sure it's just the buffalo, no other text.

TH

Chris Munoz

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2005, 04:18:30 PM »
Guys, I thought this site was to be used to discuss about golf course architecture and not about golf club logos and bs like that.....I think sometimes people on this site get carried away on specific topics, Sebonack Golf Club.

Happy New Year

Christian C. Munoz
Christian C. Munoz
Assistant Superintendent Corales
PUNTACANA Resort & Club
www.puntacana.com

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2005, 04:24:04 PM »
Christian:

Yes, that is the general intent of the site.

But take a look at the last 50 topics and tell me which are 100% purely about golf course architecture.

If people want to discuss Sebonack's logo, well... I find nothing wrong with it.

It's a great big world of golf.  Read Ran's interview - hell only part of that pertains to golf course architecture.

John_Cullum

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2005, 05:05:37 PM »
Shutters? I detect an arts and craft influence here. Definitely A&C, definitely.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 05:06:34 PM by John Cullum »
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Mark Hissey

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2005, 10:29:12 PM »
I thought I might share another anecdote about the building of Sebonack.

Early on in the project I was conducting research in the Town archives in the basement of Town Hall. There was a rather elderly lady there who managed the archives and was trying her best to organize them. She indicated to me that there were two rumours about the old Bayberryland.

First was that there was a mausoleum for the Sabin family that was hidden and overgrown in the woods. That proved to be incorrect.

The second was that there was a hidden safe in the mansion. Mitch Sobczyk, a long time employee of the union and presently Sebonack's jack-of -all trades had no recollection of the safe at all and he had worked there since the 70's. We looked sporadically for it to no avail.

A few days before the demolition was to begin, Garret Bodington was in the house with Mitch when he noticed a ripple in the wall in the walkway between Mr. & Mrs Sabin's bedrooms. They removed the plaster and found the long lost safe. It was empty apart from one item. A 1918 penny; the date of the completion of the Sabin mansion.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2005, 10:11:18 AM »
Cool story, Mark!

Love to hear "lore" like that about historic places.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 13.2. Have 26 & 23 year old girls and wife of 29 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back