News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

mark chalfant

DoveMountain(Fought ) or Stone Canyon
« on: December 20, 2005, 08:49:57 PM »
Any thoughts on these courses near Tucson.The Gallery at
Dove Mtn  seems to have a strong routing that  uses arroyos well. Any preference between  north or south 18 there ?

Hows the terrain, and are  the greens of interest at Stone Canyon.Is it one of Moorish' better efforts. Thanks

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:DoveMountain(Fought ) or Stone Canyon
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 11:08:31 PM »
Mark

I have only played the North course by Fought/Lehman at The Gallery. The course is well done desert golf and is highly rated in AZ. There is a good mix of holes. I remember a short,driveable par 4 with an elevated green on the back nine. The featured hole is the 9th, almost 700y from the tips, a downhill tee shot with the 3rd shot over a lake to the green.The new South course was done Fought only. Matt Ward has played both and I'm sure he'll chime in sooner or later. There have been some  mentions of The Gallery here before. Do a search.

All 3 courses are housing infested.

Stone Canyon by Moorish is supposedly one of his better courses. I think Jason Blasberg has played there.

The fourth course at Dove Mountain will be affiliated with a resort to be built,perhaps a Four Seasons. Jack Nicklaus lists it on his website as a course in planning.

Steve
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tom Renli

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 10:15:21 AM »
Mark, The Gallery is semiprivate, they rotote the public access course each day.  For public access, it is top three or better in AZ to me.  The break down of the two courses are:

North:
* Built first, 5 to 7 years ago.
* More elevation change than the South, works around the mountain.
* Lehman and Fought design.
* Some are critical that is it redundant, right to left, to fit Lehman's ball flight.
* Some housing in sight.
* 700+ yard par five finish.
* 8 and 17 are both good short strategic par 4s.
* Par 3s have some variation to them, two are elevated.

South:
* Open for play about two years ago.
* Fought only.
* Less elevation change.  Runs away from the Clubhouse and mountain to the SW.
* I find the shots directly into or away from the mountain deceiving distance wise.
* Most distinguishing feature, is run off, tightly cut collection areas around the greens.
* No houses yet.

I think they are both very good.  Thanks, Tom

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 10:59:38 AM »
Tom

Have the nines been reversed on the North? I remember the long par5 as the 9th.

At least the housing there on the North and at Stone Canyon is high end.

I remember reading that Fought said the South was inspired by Ross.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 05:26:52 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tony Petersen

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 04:19:07 PM »
 ;)IMHO Stone Canyon has some fantastic eye-candy, but for the most part is more disney land than the promised land ;)
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Tom Renli

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 05:59:38 PM »
Steve,
I believe you may be correct on the long par 5 being the ninth now.  Seems like it is always a shot gun start there so it is hard to keep track.  I have read the same on the Ross influence on Fought.  Somewhat hard for me to translate Ross in the desert, but it is evident with the tight Pinehurst 2 type greenside collection areas and the greenside bunkers to the side which allow run the ball in.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 07:39:19 PM »
Gents:

For what it's worth my 2 cents worth.

The North Course at The Gallery is well done by Fought / Lehman. The course has plenty of well done tee shot requirements. You have a few blind drives on the front side and the wherewithal to work the ball from both sides is needed more often than not.

Plenty of talk centers on the 700+ yard 9th hole but the hole is quite good and frankly very demanding when you encounter a prevailing headwind from the west or even southwest.

The back nine at the North is also well done. The split fairway at the 10th and the unique green complex found there is truly well done.

Unfortunately, the South layout is simply a sequel that lays a big flat zero IMHO. The layout is not inspiring -- as you march staright out for a number of holes and then make a big turn and go back the same way. In my mind, that's a sure fire recipe for housing lots. There are a few holes of note -- I liked the long par-4 2nd (good sweeping tee shot needed there) and I believe the 5th a long par-4 that requires you to avoid water on the right side.

All in all, The Gallery North Course is a clear must play for anyone in the Tucson area. Skip the South and play the North twice in my book.

Stone Canyon is truly an art form design by Jay Moorish. There a few holes of note -- although I did not care for the forced lay-ups you encounter at the 2nd and 11th holes. Nothing like making sure the long hitter has to club down.

Plenty of people may say there's nothing more than eye-candy at Stone Canyon but I liked the layout and can see the talent level Moorish can offer. No doubt when you stand on the elevated tee at #18 and gaze at the green in the distance the stunning pageantry of the desert is there to behold. I would certainly recommend playing Stone Canyon if anyone is in town and can wiggle an invite to go.

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 09:33:59 PM »
Mark:

Stone Canyon is definitely worth a visit, it's the most unique desert golf experience that I've had.  While I freely disclose that I don't care for desert golf, I had a very enjoyable round at Stone Canyon.  The greens were in fantastic condition and have some good undulation to them.  Some very difficult driving holes visually, but you'll find out that the landing areas are generous and there is a good deal of roll and elevation change.  While they say it can be walked (maybe by a billy goat with 5 gallons of water) you're in the golf cart an aweful lot there and it's quite hilly so drive carefully ;)

The waterfall ruins an otherwise great short par three on the front IMO.  The 19th hole is great and a must play.  I think you'll find it an interesting course and certainly worth a visit.  

Jason  

Tom Renli

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 09:31:50 AM »
Matt,
Did you sense any Ross like features on the South?  If so, can you elaborate on them?  Thanks, Tom

mark chalfant

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 10:41:11 AM »
Steve, Tom ,Jason,Colorado, and Matt thanks so much for your replies

Jason  and Matt, when time permits could you mention some of your favorite holes and greens at Stone Canyon. thanks

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back