News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Jeff_Lewis

Shanty Creek, Michigan
« on: December 19, 2005, 04:02:44 PM »
Anybody ever play any of the four courses up there? Wondering if any is worth the trip next year.

PThomas

Re:Shanty Creek, Michigan
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 04:38:07 PM »
I played the Palmer course...nothing special

other good stuff in the are like High Pointe...
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Peter Pratt

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 05:17:41 PM »
Weiskopf's Cedar River is the best of the four, by a good margin, though many in Mich love Palmer's course. I agree that it's worth the 30-min drive to High Pointe.

Jfaspen

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 05:43:21 PM »
I've played all of them.

Quality wise, I don't think it's as good of a destination as Lakewood Shores (Gailes, Blackshire) or even TreeTops (Jones, Par 3 Course, Couple of Smith Courses).

The Legend was an interesting course to play.  Having played more Palmer/Seay designs, it seems similar looking back.  The bayhill look of rocks on water, some elevation changes.  What I remember most about the course is some of the houses on it.

Cedar River was a nice, very new course when i played it.

The other 2 resort courses are good, but nothing memorable.

jf

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 07:15:00 PM »
I have not played Ceday Point but the Palmer Course is teh only one worth playing.  The golf is good but the esthetics are grand.

I have played High Point and thought the course was OK but can't understand the reason some on this site love it so much.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Andy Troeger

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 09:41:14 PM »
Jeff,
  You might want to look for a thread that ran early in November regarding playing options in that area of Michigan. I got a lot of suggestions of good places to play. I don't believe that Shanty Creek was mentioned, and I have not been there, but that might give you some ideas.

Robert Thompson

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 10:15:08 PM »
Jeff -- I enjoyed the Weiskopf course at Shanty Creek, and thought it was built on an interesting piece of land. It was a bit of a drive from where we stayed, but it was worthwhile.
That said, Black Forest, an early Tom Doak course, was excellent and inexpensive. After our round, the super was in the pro shop complaining about the lumps and bumps on the greens, but even in my nascent days of studying golf architecture, I recognized the greens were perhaps the most interesting part of the course.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Jeff_Lewis

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 10:01:55 AM »
Thanks a lot everybody.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back